지난 2001년 미국에 대한 9-11 테러공격을 계획한 혐의로 쿠바 관타나모 미군기지 수용소에 구금된 테러용의자 5명이 유죄를 인정하기로 했다고 미군 판사가 밝혔습니다.

스티븐 헨리 판사는 8일 자신들의 죄를 자백하기 위한 심리를 즉각 열어달라는 내용의 피고측 편지를 낭독했습니다. 피고측에는 9-11 공격의 주모자로 알려진 칼리드 셰이크 모하메드도 포함돼있습니다.

이들 용의자들은 바락 오바마 미 대통령 당선자가 대통령에 당선됐던 지난 달 4일 자백하기로 결심했다고 말했습니다.

오바마 당선자는 다음 달 취임 후 관타나모 수용시설을 폐쇄하고 구금자들을 특별 재판소가 아닌 민간 또는 군사 법정에 세워 재판을 받게 하겠다고 밝힌바 있습니다.

*****

A US military judge at the detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, says the five men accused of plotting the September 11th, 2001, terrorist attacks have asked to plead guilty.

Judge Stephen Henley today (Monday) read a note from the defendants, including alleged September 11th mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, asking for "an immediate hearing session to announce our confessions."

The judge then individually questioned the five defendants, who are representing themselves, to confirm they wanted to withdraw all pending motions and enter guilty pleas. They said they decided to confess on November 4th, the day Barack Obama was elected to the presidency.

Mr. Obama has said he wants to close the controversial Guantanamo facility after taking office next monthand try the detainees in regular US civilian or military courts instead of the special tribunal.

Mohammed has previously told the court he wants to be executed so he can become a martyr.