북한이 영변 핵시설에 대한 불능화 작업을 완전히 재개했다고 미국 국무부가 밝혔습니다.

션 맥코맥 국무부 대변인은 17일 정례 브리핑에서, 북한이 영변 원자로 재가동을 위한 조치를 모두 되돌려놓았다며 "모든 봉인과 감시장비가 다시 설치됐고 이동시켰던 장비들도 원래 자리로 옮겨졌다"고 말했습니다.

맥코맥 대변인은 이어 원자로에서 추가로 핵연료봉도 제거됐다며 원자로에서의 불능화는 북한이 핵시설 재가동을 선언하면서 불능화 작업을 중단했을 때 보다 더 나아간 것이라고 말했습니다.

국제원자력기구 IAEA 검증단은 이번 주 영변 핵시설에서의 감시활동을 재개했습니다.

북한은 지난 9일 미국이 북한을 테러지원국 명단에서 삭제하지 않은데 반발해 IAEA 검증단의 핵시설 접근을 금지한바 있습니다.

미 국무부는 지난 11일 북한이 핵 검증안에 합의했다며 북한을 테러지원국 명단에서 해제했으며 북한은 핵 불능화 작업을 재개하기로 했다고 발표했습니다.

*****

The United States says North Korea is reversing steps it had taken to restart its nuclear reactor.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters today(Friday) that North Korea has put seals back on the Yongbyon reactor and restored all surveillance equipment at the facility.

He said Pyongyang has also removed additional fuel rods from the reactor.

United Nations inspectors resumed monitoring activities at the Yongbyon nuclear complex this week.

North Korea earlier had blocked inspectors and threatened to re-enable the reactor after the U.S. said it was not ready to remove the North from its list of states sponsoring terrorism.

But Washington last week took North Korea off the list in exchange for Pyongyang's agreement to steps to verify its nuclear disarmament.