아프가니스탄 정부는 탈레반 반군이나 이들의 중재자들을 만나지 않았다고 밝혔습니다.

앞서 일부 언론들은 탈레반 반군이 사우디 아라비아 왕가의 중재로 9월 말 아프가니스탄 정부 대표들과 만났다고 보도했습니다.

아프간 대통령 대변인은 7일, 이같은 협의는 없었다고 밝혔습니다. 대변인은 하미드 카르자이 아프간 대통령이 사우디 아라비아 국왕에게 이같은 협상을 중재하도록 요청하긴 했지만, 아직 실현되지 않았다고 말했습니다.

카르자이 대통령은 탈레반 지도부와의 협의를 위해 지난 2년간 사우디 국왕과 정기적으로 접촉했다고 지난주 밝혔습니다.

카르자이 대통령은 탈레반 지도자 물라 오마르가 동족인 아프가니스탄 인들에 대한 공격을 멈추고 귀국해 평화와 안전을 위해 노력해야 한다고 말했습니다.

*****

The government of Afghanistan has denied that it held talks with the Taliban or their intermediaries.

It has been reported that representatives of the insurgents met with Afghan government officials in late September, with the help of mediation by the Saudi royal family.

An Afghan presidential spokesman (Humayun Hamidzada)said today (Tuesday)that these discussions have not occurred.

He said although Afghan President Hamid Karzai called on the king of Saudi Arabia to arrange the talks, they have not yet taken place.

Mr. Karzai said last week he had been in regular contact with the Saudi king for two years trying to facilitate talks with Taliban leaders.

Mr. Karzai says Taliban leader Mullah Omar should stop killing fellow Afghans and return home to work for the peace and security of the country.