하미드 카르자이 아프가니스탄 대통령은 23일 미국의 공습작전으로 서부 지역에서 민간인 수십명이 사망했다며 비난했습니다.

카르자이 대통령은 이 날 발표한 성명에서 지금까지 민간인 사상을 중단하려는 아프가니스탄 측의 노력이 원하는 성과를 얻지 못했다며, 아프간 정부는 곧 민간인 사망을 막기 위한 새로운 계획안을 발표하겠다고 밝혔습니다.

아프간 내무부는 앞서 22일 미군이 헤랏 지방 신단드 지구에서 전개한 군사작전으로 여성과 어린이를 포함해 최소 76명의 민간인이 사망했다고 밝혔습니다. 아프가니스탄 주둔 미군 주도 연합군은 민간인 사상자 숫자를 반박하며 무장세력 30명이 사망하고, 민간인은 사망하지 않았다고 밝혔습니다. 

*****

 

 Afghan President Hamid Karzai has condemned a U.S. air strike that some Afghan officials say killed dozens of civilians in the country's west.

In a statement issued today (Saturday), Mr. Karzai said so far Afghan efforts to stop civilian casualties have not had "desired outcomes," and that the government would soon announce new initiatives for avoiding civilian deaths.

The Afghan interior ministry said Friday that at least 76 civilians, including women and children, were killed during a U.S. military operation in the Shindand district of Herat province.

The U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan disputes the civilian casualty figure, saying 30 militants and no civilians were killed. A coalition spokesman told VOA the troops were able to search the compound following a battle that erupted when militants attacked troops targeting a militant commander.

Despite the assessment, U.S. coalition forces have launched an investigation into the air strike.