아프가니스탄에 주둔중인 나토(북대서양조약기구)군 당국은 나토군이 26일 남부 헬만드주의 한 검문소에서 정지신호를 무시한 차량에 총격을 가해 민간인 4명이 숨지고 3명이 다쳤다고 밝혔습니다.

나토군 당국은 차량이 정지신호를 거부하자 경고사격을 했으며 이후 저항세력의 공격을 우려해 총격을 가했다고 말했습니다.

나토 당국은 오늘(26일) 성명에서 이번 사고는 차량 운전사의 부주의한 행동에서 비롯된 불필요한 사고였다며 매우 유감스럽게 생각한다고 밝혔습니다.

아프간에서 민간인 사망은 아프간 정부와 다국적군의 작전 수행에 취약점이 돼 왔습니다.

유엔은 아프간에서 탈레반 저항세력과 외국군의 교전으로 올 해 7백여명에 가까운 민간인이 사망했다고 말하고 있습니다.

하미드 카르자이 아프간 대통령은 앞서 외국군에 민간인 사상자수를 최소화하라고 촉구한 바 있습니다.

*****

The NATO alliance in Afghanistan says its troops killed four civilians and wounded three others today (Saturday)when the soldiers opened fire on a car that failed to stop at a checkpoint in the southern province of Helmand. 


Officials say warning shots were fired away from the car when it refused to stop, but the troops were then forced to fire at the vehicle, fearing an insurgent attack. 


NATO said in a statement today it deeply regrets what it called "this unnecessary incident caused by the reckless actions of the vehicle driver."


Civilian casualties have been a sore point between Afghanistan's government and international forces that operate there.


The United Nations says nearly 700 Afghan civilians have been killed this year in crossfire between Taliban insurgents and foreign forces.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has previously called on foreign troops to minimize civilian casualties.