티베트 폭동가담 용의자 116명 가운데 일부 용의자들에 대한 재판이 지난 6월에 열렸다고 중국 관영 신화통신이 뒤늦게 보도했습니다.

신화통신은 티베트 폭동가담 일부 용의자들은 사형을 선고받을 수도 있다고 전했습니다. 티베트 폭동가담 용의자들에 대한 지난 번 재판은6월, 티베트 수도, 라사에서 베이징 올림픽 성화봉송 행사가 치러지는 가운데 열렸습니다.

인권단체들은 중국 정부가 티베트 폭동가담 용의자들에 대한 공정한 재판을 거부하고 있으며 피고들의 변호를 요청한 변호사들을 위협한다고 비난하고 있습니다.

한편, 11일 네팔 수도 카트만두에서 망명 티베트인 3백 여명이 티베트 독립을 요구하며 시위를 벌이다가 경찰에 체포됐습니다. 

*****


Chinese state media says some of the 116 suspects currently on trial in connection with a riot in Tibet could face the death penalty.

But the Xinhua news agency reported today (Friday) that none of the 42 people convicted so far have been given a death sentence.

The official (Tibet Autonomous Region Vice Chairman Palma Trily) told Xinhua that courts in Tibet jailed the defendants for arson, robbery and other crimes.

The last trial was held in June as an Olympic torch relay was staged in the Tibetan capital.

Human rights groups say the Chinese government has denied Tibetan defendants fair trials, and intimidated lawyers who offered to defend them.

In neighboring Nepal, police Friday arrested about 300 Tibetan exiles, who were demonstrating for Tibetan independence in the capital, Kathmandu.