우간다 정부는 지난달 수단 남부의 한 마을을 우간다 군대가 공격했다는  비난을 일축했습니다. 하지만 이번 사건은 수단 남부의 지방 준자치정부와 우간다 정부 사이에 자칫 긴장을 고조시킬 위험을 안고 있습니다. 자세한 소식입니다.

지난달  6월 14일 수단 남부의 한 마을에서 여러 가구들이 약탈 당하고, 한명의 수단 남성이 납치돼 살해된 사건에 대해  남부 지방 준자치정부는 당초에 우간다 반군인 '신의 저항군 (Lord's Resistance Army)'을 범인으로 지목했습니다.

하지만 6월 30일, 수단 남부 준자치정부의 리엑 마카르 부통령은 '신의 저항군'과 우간다 정부 사이의 휴전을 감시하는 국제 위원회의 조사 결과, 우간다 정부군이 남부 수단 마을 공격에 책임이 있는 것이 밝혀졌다고 말했습니다. 휴전 감시위원회에는 우간다 정부와 수단 남부 지방자치정부 대표들이 모두 포함돼 있습니다.

마카르 부통령은 수단 남부 의회에서 행한 연설에서 우간다 정부군은 수단을 떠나야 한다고 말했습니다.

반면, 우간다 정부 당국자들은 우간다 정부군이 수단으로 부터 철수하도록  요청받은 것이 놀랍다고 말했습니다. 우간다 정부군의 크리스 마게지 대변인은, 이 문제와 관련해 수단 남부 준 자치정부로 부터 어떤 형태의 공식 요청도 없었다고 말했습니다. 마게지 대변인은 우간다 정부군이 아니라  우간다 반군,  '신의 저항군' 이 마을 습격 사건의 배후라고 말했습니다.

마게지 대변인은 "우간다 정부군은 그 사건에 전혀  관련이 없으며,  수단 측의 주장은 진실이 없는 단순한 의혹일 뿐"이라고 말했습니다.

마게지 대변인은 '신의 저항군'이 수단의 마을을 공격한 이후 우간다 정부군이 이들 반군을 추격했을 뿐이라고 설명했습니다. 실제로 아무도 '신의 저항군'이 마을 습격에  책임이 있다는 점을 반박하지 않고 있습니다.

마게지 대변인은 "우간다 정부군이 6월 16일 경 나일 강을 다시 건너 수단으로 향하는 반군을 추적했었다"며 "이때 정부군 중 한명이 짐을 떨어뜨렸고, 그점을 근거로 남부 수단 당국자들은 우간다 정부군의 연루를 주장하고 있다"고 말했습니다.

마게지 대변인은 "우간다 정부군이 수단에 6년간 주둔해 있는 동안 수단 국민과 남부의 통치 세력인 수단인민해방군 SPLA에 선행을 펼쳐왔다"며 "우간다 정부군이 마을을 습격할 이유도 없고  그런 식으로 활동하지  않는다"고 말했습니다.

우간다 정부는 수단 정부와 지난 2002년 맺은 합의에 따라, 수단 남부 지역에서 우간다 정부군이 우간다 반군인 '신의 저항군'소탕 작전을 펼칠 수 있는 허가를 받았습니다. 그러나 이같은 합의는 2005년 수단 남부에 준 자치 정부가  들어서기  이전에  타결된  것입니다.

수단남부군 참모총장인 오예이 뎅 아작 장군은 수단남부군과 우간다 정부군이  공동 작전들을 통해 계속 협력해 왔다고 밝혔습니다.

아작 장군은 "SPLA는  수단 남부 주민들의 치안과  방위를 위한 의무를 지고 있다"면서 "우간다 정부군과 함께, 우간다 반군인 '신의 저항군'에 대항해 공동 작전을 펼쳐 왔으며, 앞으로도 이러한 작전을 진행하는데 문제가 없다"고 말했습니다.

아작 장군은 "그러나 수단 남부 지역의 주민들이 우간다 정부군이 철수해야 할 때가 됐다고 판단한다면, 그러한 사실은 공식 창구를 통해 전달될 것이"라고 말했습니다.

아작 장군은 마카르 부통령은 우간다 평화협상의 중재자로서 관련 언급을 한 것이지, 수단 남부의 통치 세력인 '수단인민 해방운동' 의 당국자로서 발언을 한 것이 아니라고 설명했습니다. 

*****

The Ugandan government has rejected accusations that Ugandan troops were responsible for an attack on a village in southern Sudan last month. As Derek Kilner reports from VOA's East Africa bureau in Nairobi, the matter threatens to raise tensions between the semi-autonomous government of southern Sudan and the government of Uganda.

Southern Sudan had initially blamed the June 14 attack, in which several houses were looted and a Sudanese man kidnapped and killed, on Ugandan rebels from the Lord's Resistance Army, or LRA.

But on June 30, South Sudan's Vice President Riek Machar said an investigation by an international committee that monitors the ceasefire between the LRA and Uganda - and which includes representatives from both Uganda and southern Sudan - revealed that troops from Uganda's army were responsible. Machar, speaking before south Sudan's parliament, said Ugandan troops should leave Sudan.

Ugandan officials, meanwhile, say they are surprised that their troops are being asked to leave. Army spokesman Chris Magezi says there has been no official communication from the government of southern Sudan. He says the LRA, and not the Ugandan military, was responsible for the attack.

"UPDF is not involved at all," said Magezi. "Those are just mere allegations and they have no truth in them."

Captain Magezi says Ugandan troops were following LRA forces after an earlier attack by the rebels in southern Sudan. Nobody has disputed the LRA's responsibility for that assault.

"UPDF forces in pursuit tried to follow that group which later crossed the Nile again around the 16th of June. But apparently one of our soldiers dropped his pack and it is the Southern Sudan authorities which are using to implicate UPDF," he said. "But we have been in Sudan for six years. And we have done good work with the people of Sudan and the SPLA. There is no need for us to engage in such attacks. It is not our method of work."

Uganda reached an agreement with the Sudanese government in 2002 that allowed Ugandan troops to conduct operations against the LRA in Sudan's south. But that agreement was reached before a 2005 peace agreement created a semi-autonomous southern government.

The chief of staff of southern Sudan's military, General Oyai Deng Ajak, said that southern Sudan and Uganda have continued to cooperate in joint operations.

"The SPLA is responsible for security and defense of the people of south Sudan. UPDF, we have been doing joint operations together with them against the LRA and we have no problem in continuing with operations against the LRA together with UPDF," said Ajak. "But if the people of south Sudan feel that the time has come for UPDF to go out, it will be communicated through the official channel.

General Ajak says Machar was speaking in his capacity as a mediator for the peace talks, and not as an official of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement, the ruling party in southern Sudan.

Machar has been mediating peace talks in Juba, the capital of southern Sudan, between the LRA and the Ugandan government for the past two years.

Negotiators from the two sides reached an agreement in April, but rebel leader Joseph Kony failed to show up to sign the deal. In late June, several members of the rebel negotiating team quit.

But on Saturday, U.N. mediator Joachim Chissano said he was contacted by Kony who said that he supported the agreement and wanted to hold another meeting along the border between Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the LRA is currently based.

The Ugandan government has said it hopes Kony will agree to sign the deal, but that it rejects further negotiation on the contents of the agreement.

The two-decade conflict, which was based in Northern Uganda but has spilled over in recent years into southern Sudan and eastern Congo, killed thousands and displaced nearly two million people. The International Criminal Court has indicted Joseph Kony and his top deputies for war crimes. The indictments are seen as one of the reasons Kony has been reluctant to sign a deal.

The U.S. State Department's top Africa official, Jendayi Frazer, said last week that Kony has used the peace process to rearm and suggested that the United Nations peacekeeping force in the Democratic Republic of Congo should pursue the LRA.  Frazer made the comments at an African Union Summit in Egypt.