미국 백악관은 조지 부시 대통령이 내년 1월에 임기가 끝나기 전 이란에 대한 군사공격을 계획하고 있다는 이스라엘 신문의 보도를 일축했습니다.

데나 페리노 백악관 대변인은 영자신문 ‘예루살렘 포스트’ 의 20일 보도는 언급할 가치도 없다고 밝혔습니다.

이 신문은 익명의 소식통을 인용해, 부시 대통령과 딕 체니 미국 부통령이 이란에 대한 군사행동이 정당화돼 있다고 생각한다고 보도했습니다. 이 신문은 지난 주 부시 대통령의 이스라엘 방문 중 대통령 수행원 중 한명이 이같이 말했다고 전했습니다.

페리노 대변인은 부시 행정부는 이란의 핵 야망에 여전히 반대하고 있으며 이란에 대한 외교적. 경제적 압력을 추진하고 있다고 말했습니다.

*****

The White House is denying an Israeli newspaper report that President George Bush is planning a military attack against Iran before the end of his presidency next January.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said the article in today's (Tuesday's) edition of the English-language Jerusalem Post is, in her words, "not worth the paper it's printed on."

The article cites unnamed sources who say a member of the president's entourage -- while in Israel last week -- said Mr. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney believe military action against Iran is "called for."

Perino said the Bush administration remains opposed to Iran's nuclear ambitions, and is working to bring diplomatic and economic pressure against Tehran.

U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack also affirmed that there is no change in U.S. policy regarding Iran.