티베트인들의 반중국 항의시위 과정에서 모두 130명이 사망한 것으로 확인됐다고 인도에 본부를 둔 티베트 망명정부가 오늘 밝혔습니다.

티베트 망명 정부는 시위대와 중국 당국의 충돌로 티베트의 수도 라사에서만 적어도 80명이 숨졌고 다른 중국 지방성에서도 20여명이 숨졌다고 밝힌 바 있습니다.

중국 정부는 티베트 시위로 숨진 사람이 모두 19명이라고 밝히고 있습니다.

이와 관련해 국제올림픽위원회의  자크 로게 위원장은 국제올림픽위원회가 티베트 사태에 대해 우려하고 있다고 말했습니다. 로게 위원장은 AP통신과의 회견에서 티베트 사태와 중국의 인권문제에 관해 중국측과 이른바 ‘조용한 외교’를 진행중이라고 밝혔습니다.

로게 위원장은 그러나 올림픽경기는 비정치적인 성격을 유지해야 한다며 중국 당국에 대한 비난을 거부했습니다.

Tibet's India-based government in exile now says 130 people died in the recent clashes between protesters and Chinese authorities in Tibet.

Tibetan exile groups had previously said at least 80 people were killed in Lhasa, and that clashes in other Chinese provinces killed nearly 20 others. The Chinese government puts the official death toll from the past week's riots at 19.

Rights groups have been calling for a boycott of the Beijing Olympic Games in August because of the crackdown in Tibet.

The president of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge, told reporters today (Monday) in Ancient Olympia, Greece, that the IOC is concerned about the violence in Tibet. In an interview with the The Associated Press, Rogge said he is engaged in "silent diplomacy" with China on Tibet and other human rights issues.