인도에 있는 티베트 망명정부는 지난 주  중국통치에 대한  항의시위로 최소 99명이 사망했다고 밝혔습니다. 

이중에는 18일 중국 서부 간수성에서 일어난 항의시위중 중국  보안군에 의해 사살된 19명의 티베트 인들도 포함돼 있습니다.

간수성 마추현의 목격자들은 이날 불교승과 티베트 인들이 항의시위를 벌이자 경찰이 거리를 봉쇄했다고 전했습니다.

목격자들은 ‘미국의 소리’방송에 12명의 사망자를 직접 확인할 수 있었다고 말했습니다.

지금까지 중국 당국은 지난 14일 티베트 수도 라싸에서 13명의 무고한 민간인들이 사망했다고만  확인했습니다.

로이터통신은 18일, 지난 주 라싸에서 항의시위에 참가했던 100명의 티베트 인들이 당국에 자수했다고 한, 중국 국영 텔레비전 방송의 말을 인용, 보도했습니다.

한편 국제언론 감시단체인 ‘국경없는 기자들’은 세계의 정치  인들에게 중국의 티베트 시위 진압에 항의하기 위해 베이징 올림픽 개막식에 불참할 것을 촉구했습니다.

‘국경없는 기자들’은 18일 발표한 성명에서, 중국이 올림픽을 유치할 때 제시했던 약속들을 이행하지 않고 있다고 비난했습니다.

그 당시,  중국은 올림픽을 유치하면서 인권 상황을 개선하겠다고 약속했었습니다.

‘국경없는 기자들’은 중국이 이 약속을 지키지 않고 티베트 인들의 시위를 강경진압하고, 보도관제를 실시하며, 반체제 인사들을 투옥하고 있다고 지적했습니다.

*****

Tibet's India-based government-in-exile says at least 99 people have been killed in unrest over the past week, including 19 Tibetans who were shot dead by security forces today (Tuesday) in new protests in China's western Gansu province.

Witnesses in the Gansu county of Machu say police blocked off the streets after Buddhist monks and other Tibetans held a rally there. Witnesses tell VOA (Tibetan service) that they could confirm that at least 12 people were killed.

Chinese authorities have confirmed only the deaths of 13 people they described as "innocent civilians" in Friday's riots in the Tibetan capital Lhasa.

Reuters news agency quotes China's state-run television as saying today that 100 people involved in last week's riots in Lhasa have turned themselves in.

An international media rights group, Reporters Without Borders, is urging political officials to boycott the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics to protest China's crackdown on protesters in Tibet.

In a statement issued today (Tuesday), the Paris-based group accused China of breaking the promises it made when it was chosen to host the Summer Games. At the time, officials in Beijing promised to improve human rights conditions.

Instead, the group says China is crushing Tibetan protests, imposing news blackouts and jailing dissidents.