이스라엘 예루살렘의 유대교 학교에서 팔레스타인 무장괴한이 총기를 난사해  8명이 숨지고 35명이 부상했습니다. 이스라엘 정부는 토요일 저녁까지 요르단 강 서안지역 밖으로의 통행을 금지했습니다.

7일 이번 총기 난사사건으로 희생된 학생들의 장례식에는 수천 명의 추모객들이 모였습니다.

목격자들에 따르면 팔레스타인 무장괴한이 6일 저녁 유대교 학교에 들어와 학생들이 모여 있는 방에 총기를 난사했습니다. 이스라엘 경찰은 괴한이 현장에서 사살됐다고 밝혔습니다.

이스라엘 외무부의 아르예 메켈 대변인은 이번 총기 테러사건이 이스라엘과 팔레스타인간의 평화회담을 중단시키는데 그 목적이 있다며, 이스라엘은 이번 사건과 무관하게 팔레스타인과의 평화 회담을 지속할 것이라고 밝혔습니다. 팔레스타인의 마흐무드 압바스 자치정부 수반도 이번 사건을 규탄했습니다.

*****

Israeli forces have restricted travel from the West Bank until Saturday evening in the wake of a deadly attack by a Palestinian gunman inside a Jewish religious school in Jerusalem.

Thousands of mourners gathered in Jerusalem today (Friday) at funeral processions for students killed in Thursday's attack.

Witnesses said a gunman entered a crowded room at the rabbinical seminary (Merkaz Harav Yeshiva) and opened fire with a rife, killing eight people and injuring 35 others. An Israeli police spokesman (Mickey Rosenfeld) said the attacker was killed on the scene.

Police said the gunman was a Palestinian resident of East Jerusalem. Hezbollah's Manar television station says a previously unknown group (called the Martyrs of Imad Mughniyeh and Gaza) claimed responsibility, but the claim could not be verified.

A spokesman with the Israeli foreign ministry (Arye Mekel) said the attack was aimed at killing chances for peace, but vowed peace talks will continue. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas also condemned the attack.