나토 회원국들은  2만5천명에 달하는 국제긴급지원군 규모를 축소하기로 결정했습니다. 나토는 최근 미국으로부터 아프가니스탄에 대한 추가 파병 요구를 받는 가운데, 이번 결정을 내렸습니다.

나토 국방장관들은 25일 네덜란드에서 회의를 갖고 긴급지원군의 병력 축소안을  승인했습니다.

나토의 긴급지원군은 전세계 어느 곳에라도 위기 상황이 발생하면 5일만에 훈련된 부대를 파견한다는 목표아래 운영돼왔습니다. 긴급지원군 운영은 로널드 럼스펠드 전 미국 국방장관의 구상에서 나온 것입니다.

한편 아나톨리 세르듀코프 러시아 국방장관은 미국의 미사일 방어계획에 대한 러시아의 우려에도 불구하고, 이번 나토 국방장관 회의에서 진전이 거의 없었다고 말했습니다. 미국은 폴란드와 체코에 10개의 미사일 방어시설을 설치한다는 계획입니다.

로버트 게이츠 미국 국방장관은 앞서 미사일 방어시설에 대한 러시아의 조사를 허용하는 새 제안을 제출했었습니다. 하지만 세르듀코프 장관은 이 제안에 대해 아직 납득할 수 없다고 말했습니다.

*****

NATO countries under pressure for greater troop contributions in Afghanistan are scaling back a 25-thousand-member rapid reaction force designed to respond to international crises.

NATO defense ministers, meeting in the Netherlands, authorized the down-sizing today (Thursday).

The brainchild of former U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, the NATO rapid response plan would have deployed seasoned troops on five days' notice to crises across the globe.

In other developments, Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said NATO ministers made little progress today in easing Russian concerns about U.S. plans to deploy a missile shield in Europe. The plan calls for the deployment of 10 missile interceptors in Poland and missile radar in the Czech Republic.

Serdyukov said Moscow has not been convinced by safeguard proposals outline earlier this week by U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, including an offer to allow Russian inspection of the facilities.