콩고민주공화국의 한 관계관은 콩고에서 수년째 계속되는 분쟁으로 6백만 명의 난민이 발생했다고 말했습니다.

콩고의 장 클라우드 무얌보 인도주의 장관이 28일 밤 한 연설을 통해 밝힌 난민 수는 유엔난민담당 고등판무관실이 추산한 것 보다 몇 배나 더 많은 것입니다.

유엔난민 고등판무관실은 콩고 국내에서 집을 떠난 난민 수는 백 10만명 정도며 또다른 40만명 정도는 해외로 탈출했다고 말하고 있습니다.

콩고민주공화국은 1960년 벨기에로 부터 독립한 이후 소요 사태와 전쟁으로 계속 황폐화되고 있습니다.     

*****

An official in the Democratic Republic of Congo says years of conflict have displaced six million Congolese from their homes.

The figure given by Humanitarian Affairs Minister Jean-Claude Muyambo in a speech late Saturday is several times higher than the estimates offered by the United Nations refugee agency.

The U.N. agency says Congo has about one-point-one million people who are displaced internally. It says another 400-thousand have fled abroad.

Congo has been wracked with unrest and war since winning independence from Belgium in 1960.

A 2003 peace deal ended a five-year civil war and was followed by largely peaceful elections last year. However, militia fighting continues in the east of the country, especially North and South Kivu provinces.