미국의 수도 워싱턴에서 지난 나흘간 비공개로 진행된 역사적인 미국 인도간 핵협력협정 협상이20일 막을 내렸습니다. 협상에 참가했던 양측 고위 관리들은 이번 협상에서 “실질적인 진전”을 이뤘지만 최종 합의에는 이르지 못했다고 밝혔습니다.

원래 이틀간으로 예정됐던 미국과 인도간 핵협력협정 협상은 결국 나흘간에 걸친 줄다리기 협상으로 이어졌습니다.  

양측 대표들은 비록 이번 협상에서 최종 합의는 이루지 못했지만 상호 이견에 실질적인 진전을 이뤘으며, 협상 결과를 양국 정부의 최종 검토를 위해 제출할 것이라고 밝혔습니다.

조지 부시 미국 대통령과 만모한 싱 인도 총리는 지난 2005년 7월 미국 인도간 핵협력협정을 원칙적으로 승인했습니다.

이 협정은 1998년이래 핵 보유국임을 선언한 인도의 민간 핵시설에 국제 사찰을 허용하고, 그 대신 인도가 미국의 원자력 발전소 기술과 핵 연료를 제공받을 수 있도록 하는 것을 주요 내용으로 하고 있습니다.

하지만 인도는 핵무기 시험을 자제하고 미국이 공급한 핵 연료의 재처리를 금지하라는 미국의 요구를 거부하는 등 미국 인도간 핵협력협정 타결에는 많은 걸림돌이 있었습니다.

이 협상의 미국측 수석대표인 니콜라스 번스  미 국무부 정무담당 차관은20일 오후 ‘미국의 소리 방송’과의 회견에서 양측이 많은 문제들을 극복했다고 말했습니다.

하지만 번스 차관은 협상의 자세한 내역에 대해서는 밝히지 않았으며, 20일 발표된 공동 성명에서도 협정 타결의 구체적인 내용과 시한은 언급되지 않았습니다. 두 나라는 성명을 통해 나머지 단계을 마무리 짓고 이른바 “역사적인 협정”를 타결하기를 기대한다고 밝혔습니다.

일부 언론들은 이번 워싱턴 협상이 협정의 성패를 가름하게 될 것이라고 보도했으며, 인도 관리들 역시 이번 주에 합의에 이르지 못하면 협정 전체가 실패할 수 있다고 말한 것으로 알려졌습니다.

하지만 탐 케이시 미국무부 부 대변인은 정례 브리핑에서 협정 타결을 위한 노력이 계속될 것이라고 말했습니다.

케이시 부 대변인은 오늘 합의 발표가 없다는 것을 협정이 무산됐다거나 이 문제에 진전을 이루지 못할 것으로 시사하는 것으로 받아들이는 것은 무리가 있다고 말했습니다. 케이시 대변인은 두 나라가 협정을 타결할 굳은 의지가 있으며, 서로 협력하려고 한다면서 미국은 가까운 미래에 이 협정이 타결되기를 기대한다고 말했습니다.

쉬브 샨카르 메논 인도 외무장관을 수석으로 한 인도 협상단에는 M.K.나라야난 인도 국가안보보좌관이 포함됐습니다.

이번 주 인도 협상단은 딕 체니 부통령과 콘돌리자 라이스 국무장관, 로버트 게이츠 국방장관외에 여러 고위급 인사들과 만나, 미국 정부가 이문제에 높은 관심을 가지고 있음을 반영했습니다.

미국 인도간 핵협력협정 내용은 미국의회의 승인을 얻어야 합니다. 하지만 미국 일부에서는 핵확산금지조약, NPT 가입국이 아닌 인도와의 핵협력은 전세계적인 핵 확산 방지 노력을 저해 할 것이라는 우려가 제기되고 있습니다.

한편 인도에서는 인도 정부가 미국의 압력에 굴복해  자국의 핵능력을 제한할 수도 있다는 비판이 제기되고 있습니다.

 

Senior diplomats of the United States and India Friday ended four days of closed-door negotiations in Washington on an unprecedented nuclear cooperation agreement. They reported "substantial progress" but no final agreement. VOA's David Gollust reports from the State Department.

The U.S.-India talks, originally scheduled to last two days, stretched into a four-day negotiating marathon.

Though a final agreement was not announced, the two delegations said substantial progress was made on outstanding issues and that their work would now be submitted to the respective governments for final review.

President Bush and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh approved the nuclear deal in principle in July of 2005.

It calls for India, since 1998 a declared nuclear weapons state, to open its civilian nuclear facilities to international inspection in exchange for access to U.S. nuclear power plant technology and reactor fuel.

Going into the round of State Department meetings, there were a number of obstacles to an implementing accord, including Indian objections to U.S. demands that it refrain from further nuclear weapons testing and not reprocess U.S.-supplied nuclear fuel.

The chief U.S. delegate to the talks, Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns, told VOA late Thursday the sides had overcome many of the outstanding issues.

But Burns did not elaborate and Friday's joint statement also did not give specifics or a timetable for finishing the accord. It said the two governments "look forward" to completing remaining steps and concluding what was termed "this historic initiative."

The Washington meetings had been depicted in some press reports as a make-or-break round, and Indian officials had been quoted as saying that failure to reach agreement this week could doom the deal altogether.

However at a news briefing, State Department Deputy Spokesman Tom Casey said efforts to finish the accord will continue. "Certainly, I wouldn't read a lack of an announcement of an agreement today as anything indicating that we won't ultimately be able to have a deal and be able to move forward on this. It's clear that both countries have the good will necessary to do this, are willing to work with one another to achieve an agreement, and we're certainly hopeful we'll get one in the very near future," he said.

Indian Foreign Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon led the Indian team joined by National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan.

During the week, the Indian team also met with Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Defense Secretary Robert Gates, among others, reflecting the Bush administration's high interest in completing the accord.

President Bush and key aides have framed the opening to India as one of the administration's key foreign policy achievements and a possible catalyst for further high-profile defense and commercial deals.

Elements of a nuclear accord would have to be approved by the U.S. Congress, where there is bipartisan support but also concern that cooperation with India, a non-signatory of the Non-Proliferation Treaty, undermines efforts to curb the spread of nuclear weapons.

Indian critics meanwhile say the New Delhi government is bending to U.S. pressure in ways that could limit the country's nuclear capability.