조시 부시 대통령이 지난 2003년 이라크에서 주요 전투작전의 종료를 선언한 이후 지난 6월 가장 많은 공격이 발생한 것으로 나타났습니다.

로이터 통신은 미 국방부 자료를 인용해 지난달 이라크에서 민간인(사회사람), 이라크 치안병력, 연합군과 사회제반시설에 대한 저항세력의 공격횟수가 하루평균 178건에 달했다고 보도했습니다.  이는 지난 2006년 10월에 기록한 하루 평균 176.5 건을 넘는 최대의 공격횟수라고 로이터 통신은 덧붙였습니다. 

이라크 주둔 미군사령관인 데이비드 페트레우스 대장은 지난달 기자들에게  파도같이 밀려드는 미 연합군이 바그다드 일원의 저항세력에 대한 새로운 공격을 개시했다고 말한 바 있습니다.  부시 대통령과 미국의 고위 관리들은 미군의 이런 파도전력에 따라 저항세력의 폭력이 증가할 것으로 예상했었습니다.

Figures released by the U.S. Defense Department show that in June, Iraq had its highest number of daily attacks since President Bush declared the end of major combat operations in 2003.

The Reuters news agency, citing Pentagon figures, said Friday that last month, there was a daily average of about 178 attacks against civilians, Iraqi forces, coalition troops and infrastructure.

The June figure surpassed the previous high of 176-point-five in October of 2006.

The U.S. commander in Iraq, General David Petraeus, told reporters last month that coalition forces, including the so-called "surge" troops, had begun new offensives against insurgents in and around Baghdad.

President Bush and other senior officials have predicted a rise in violence from insurgents as the surge strategy takes hold.