6월말 런던에서 발생한 자동차 폭탄 테러 미수 사건의 용의자들이 호주 내에서 휴대폰을 이용해 런던 도심에 주차시킨 차량폭탄을 터뜨리려 했다는 보도가 전해진 가운데,

필립 루독 호주 경찰총장은 8일 이 같은 보도의 진위성을 낮게 시사했습니다.

루독 경찰총장은 이날 한 호주 텔레비전 방송과의 회견에서 이같은 추측은 이번 음모와 관련돼 사용된 전화가 호주에 있는 사람들이 한 때 소유했던 것이라는 사실에 때문에 나온 것 같다고 말했습니다.

호주 경찰은 런던 폭탄테러 미수 사건과 관련해 5명의 인도 의사들을 조사한 후 석방했습니다. 하지만  호주 경찰은 인도의사 무하메드 하네프 씨를 계속 구금하고 있습니다.

*****

Australia's attorney general has downplayed a report that attackers in London's failed car bombings planned to trigger the blasts with phone calls from Australia.

Phillip Ruddock today (Sunday) told Australian television (Nine Network) that the speculation is probably linked to the fact that several phones used in connection with the plot had once been owned by people now in Australia.

Australian police detained and then released five Indian doctors after questioning them about last month's attempted car bombings in London and Glasgow. Ruddock said police have ordered that the men remain in country and available for questioning.

Police continue to hold one Indian doctor, Muhammad Haneef, who was detained Monday as he was about to board a flight out of the country.