나토 군과 아프가니스탄 군은 13일 저항세력들이 준동하는 헬만드 주에서 22명의 탈레반 저항세력들을 사살했다고 아프간 관계자가 밝혔습니다.

헬만드 주의 모하마드 나비 물라킬 경찰국장은 이날 카자키지역 수력댐 부근에서 전개한 소탕작전에서 15명의 무장세력을 사살했다고 말했습니다.

모하마드 경찰국장은 또 무사 칼라 마을에서 벌어진 별도의 교전에서 7명의 탈레반이 사살됐다고 말했습니다.

탈레반 저항세력들은 이달 초부터 이 지역을 장악하고 있습니다.

이와 관련해 반츠 크라도크 나토 군 사령관은 이날 아프가니스탄의 부족한 병력을 충원할 수 있도록 회원국들이 추가병력을 파견해 줄 것을 촉구했습니다.

*****

An Afghan official says NATO and Afghan forces have killed 22 Taleban fighters in separate clashes in restive Helmand province.

The provincial police chief (Mohammad Nabi Mullahkhil) today (Tuesday) said as many as 15 militants were killed Monday when troops cleared an area near a hydroelectric dam in the Kajaki district.

Helmand's police chief said seven Taleban militants were killed in separate fighting in the town of Musa Qala. Taleban fighters had taken control of that town earlier this month.

In related news, NATO's top commander is calling on member nations to supply additional troops to fill shortfalls in Afghanistan.

U.S. General Bantz Craddock today (Tuesday) told reporters in Belgium that the troop shortage is endangering the lives of the soldiers currently serving in the region.