중국 외교부는 지난 주에 중국이 인공위성 공격용으로 새로운 미사일을 시험발사하는데 성공했다는 보도를 확인할 수 없다고 말했습니다.

중국 외교부의 류장차오 대변인은 19일, 기자들에게 중국의 그러한 시험에 관한 정보를 자신은 갖고 있지 않다면서 이같이 말하고 중국은 평화적인 우주활용을 주창하며 우주무기 경쟁에 말려들기를 원치 않는다고 덧붙였습니다. 

미국 백악관의 다나 페리노 대변인은 미국 정부가 베이징과 워싱턴에 있는 중국 관계관들에게 위성공격용 미사일 시험발사 문제에 대한 우려를 표명했다고 밝히고 그러나 중국측으로부터 아직 아무런 반응을 받지 않았다고 말했습니다. 

전문가들은 ‘에비에이션 위크 앤드 스페이스 테크놀로지’에 의해 보도된 중국의 위성공격용 미사일 시험발사 성공이 사실이라면 이는 중국이 미국의 첩보위성을 파괴할 수 있음을 뜻한다고 지적하고 있습니다.

한편, 일본의 시오자키 야스히로 관방장관도 일본은 탄도 미사일에 의한 인공위성 파괴행위를 우려하고 있다고 밝히고 중국 당국의 전면적인 해명을 요구했습니다.

*****

China's Foreign Ministry says it can not confirm reports that the nation successfully tested a new anti-satellite weapon last week.

A ministry spokesman (Liu Jianchao) today (Friday) told reporters he had no knowledge of the test. He did say that China advocates the peaceful use of space and that it does not want to get into a space arms race.

Reports of the test from space experts have raised concerns around the globe.

A White House spokeswoman (Dana Perino) said today the U.S. administration has voiced concerns to Chinese officials in Beijing and Washington. The spokeswoman said Washington has yet to receive a response from the Chinese.

Reports of the test first appeared in the publication "Aviation Week and Space Technology." U.S. intelligence agencies later confirmed that the test took place January 11th, when China used a ground-based anti-satellite missile to destroy one of its own aging weather satellites.

Analysts note that, if confirmed, the test might mean China could destroy U.S. spy satellites.