북한은 최근 중국 베이징에서 열린 6자회담이 아무런 진전없이 끝남에 따라 미국에 대해 제재조치를 확대하지 말라고 경고했습니다.

김영춘 북한군 총참모장은 23일 미국이 추가 제재조치를 취한다면 북한은 더욱 강경히 대응할 것이라고 말했습니다.

그러나 김 총참모장은 어떤 조치를 취할 것인지는 밝히지 않았습니다.

13개월만에 재개됐던 북한 핵 계획에 관한 6자회담은 22일 아무런 합의도 이뤄지지 못한 채 끝났습니다.

미국측 수석대표인 크리스토퍼 힐 국무부 동아시아태평양 담당 차관보는 이번 회담이 별다른 성과없이 끝난데 실망했다고 말했습니다.

북한관영 중앙방송은 23일 이번 회담이 합의없이 끝난 것은 미국의 책임이라고 비판했습니다.

*****

North Korea has warned the United States against increasing sanctions, after no progress was made at the latest round of six-party nuclear disarmament talks.

The North Korean army's chief of staff, Kim Yong Chun, said today (Saturday) his country will respond with tougher measures if the U.S. imposes more sanctions. He did not specify what North Korea might do.

This latest round of six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear program ended in Beijing without a breakthrough earlier this week. They were the first held by the six nations in more than a year, and the first since Pyongyang conducted a nuclear test in October.

North Korea promised in principle to disarm in 2005. But it has refused to negotiate implementation until the U.S. lifts financial sanctions imposed last year in response to North Korea's alleged counterfeiting and money laundering.

U.S. envoy Christopher Hill said he is disappointed that this week's nuclear talks made no tangible progress.