미국은 북 핵6자회담에서 북한이 성실한 행동을 보인다면 그에 따라 성실한 행동을 할  준비가  돼 있다고 말했습니다.

‘뉴욕타임스’ 신문은 이에 앞서 미국과 북한측  6자회담 수석 대표들이 지난주 베이징에서 이뤄진 접촉에서 북한의 핵 포기를 위한 구체적인 방안을 논의했다고 보도했습니다. 이런 가운데 일본의 고이즈미 준이치로 전 총리가 핵 문제 해결을 위해 북한을 방문할 뜻을 밝혔습니다.

좀 더 자세히 전해드리겠습니다.

미국의 부시 행정부 관계자들은 ‘뉴욕타임스’ 신문의  보도와 관련해 사실 여부를  확인하지 않고 있습니다. 이들은 그러나 북한이 핵개발 계획을 포기하기로 동의할 경우 그들이 어떤 경제적 보상과 안전보장 등을 받을 수 있는지에 대해 미국측은 전반적인 설명을 했다고 말하고 있습니다.

미국과 북한의 6자회담 대표들은  1년여 이상 교착상태에 빠져있는 북핵 6자 회담 재개를 위해 지난 주 중국측의 주선으로 베이징에서 양자 간 직접접촉을 가졌습니다.

‘뉴욕타임스’ 신문은 부시 행정부 소식통들의 말을 인용해,  6자회담의 미국측 수석대표인 크리스토퍼 힐 미 국무부 동아시아태평양 담당 차관보가 북한과의 양자 접촉에서 북한이 핵을 포기할 경우, 식량과 에너지 지원, 체제안전 보장 등  구체적인 보상책을 제시했다고 보도했습니다. 

숀 맥코맥 미 국무부 대변인은 정례브리핑에서 힐 차관보와 김계관 북한 외무성 부상 간의 베이징 접촉은 협상이 아니라 서로가  합의 가능한  타당한  기대치를  제시하는 자리였다고 강조했습니다

맥코맥 대변인은  미국의 현재  대북한 원칙은   한반도의 비핵화가 이뤄지면 모든 것이 가능하고, 비핵화 없이는 어떤 것도 가능치 않다는 것이라면서 ,  힐 차관보가   김계관 부상과 만나 이야기한 것은 `북한측의 성실한 행동에 대한 미국의 성실한 행동’이라는 원칙이었다고 강조했습니다.

 북핵 6자 회담은  지난해 9월 북한의 핵무기 포기에 따른 경제지원과 체제 보장이라는  공동원칙을 발표했으나 이후  북한의 불법 금융활동 혐의를 이유로 미국이 마카오 소재 방코 델타아시아 은행에  제재를 가하면서 교착상태에 빠져 있습니다.

한편  고이즈미 준이치로 전 일본 전 총리가 북 핵 사태와 피랍 일본인 문제 등으로 경색돼 있는 북-일 관계를 타개하기 위해  북한을 방문할 의사가 있다고   밝혔습니다.

‘요미우리 신문’과  ‘NHK방송’ 등 일본의 주요 언론들은 고이즈미 전 총리가  야마사키 타쿠 자민당 의원과 회동한 자리에서  자신은 정치인으로서 한반도 비핵화를 책무로 인식하고 있다면서,  지난 2002년  총리로 재직 중 북한을 방문해 김정일 위원장과  공동서명한  북-일 평양선언을 되살리기 위해  북한을 방문하는 데 주저하지 않고 있다고 말한 것으로  보도했습니다.

고이즈미 총리는  또  북한 방문이  성사되면  아베 신조 총리의 특사 자격으로 북한을 방문할 생각이라고 말한 것으로 알려졌습니다. 

 그러나  많은 전문가들은  고이즈미 전 총리의 방북이 실현되기는 힘들 것이라는 견해를 보이고 있습니다.  

일부 전문가들은  평소 고이즈미 전 총리의 이 같은 발언이  국내 문제로 고심하고 있는  아베  신조  총리를 무시하는 행동으로 비춰질 수 있을 것이라고 지적하고,  설령 성사된다 하더라도 시기적으로도  너무 이르다는 부정적인 반응을 나타냈습니다. 

*****

The United States said Wednesday it is ready to match good-faith North Korean actions in the six-party negotiations aimed at ending that country's nuclear program. The New York Times earlier reported that U.S. and North Korean diplomats discussed specifics of a disarmament accord in talks in China last week. VOA's David Gollust reports from the State Department.

Officials here are not confirming details of the New York Times account, but they do say Pyongyang has been given an outline of what it can expect in terms of aid and other incentives if it agrees to scrap its nuclear weapons program.

Senior U.S. and North Korean diplomats held two face-to-face meetings under Chinese auspices in Beijing last week in the latest effort to restart the six-party talks on the nuclear issue, which have been idle for more than a year.

The New York Times Tuesday quoted U.S. officials close to the talks as saying U.S. envoy Christopher Hill described a detailed package of disarmament incentives for North Korea including food aid from the United States, Japan and South Korea.

It said an agreement would hinge on North Korea agreeing to begin dismantling some equipment it has been using to expand its nuclear arsenal, including a plutonium reprocessing facility refining spent reactor fuel into weapons-grade material.

At a news briefing, State Department Spokesman Sean McCormack insisted the meetings between Hill, the Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian Affairs, and North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-Gwan were not negotiations. But he said they were aimed at providing the sides with a rational expectation of what an agreement might contain:

McCormack: The operating principle here again is that with a de-nuclearized Korean peninsula, all things are possible. Without a de-nuclearized Korean peninsula, nothing is possible. So that same operating principle of good faith actions in return for good-faith actions was really the underlying message for what Chris (Eds; Christopher Hill) was talking about.

The six-party talks reached an agreement in principle in September of last year under which Pyongyang undertook to give up its nuclear program in return for aid and security guarantees. But North Korea began boycotting the talks in November, 2005, after the United States imposed penalties on a Chinese bank it said had been used as a hub for illicit North Korean activity including counterfeiting U.S. currency.

The Bush administration has said it will not drop the penalties until North Korea halts the illegal dealings, but is ready to deal with the issue in the context of the six-party process.

Pyongyang announced it was prepared to return to the talks at the end of October, only a few weeks after conducting a nuclear test that led to U.N. sanctions against it. U.S. officials have expressed hope the talks might resume before the end of the year, but in recent days have said that no harm would be done if the process slipped to January.

The six-party talks, which include Russia, Japan and South Korea as well as the United States, North Korea and host China, began in 2003 after the breakdown of a bilateral U.S.-North Korean nuclear freeze accord reached in 1994.