동티모르 수도 딜리에서 산발적인 폭력 행위가 계속되고 있는 가운데 동티모르 정부는 치안을 개선해 나가겠다고 다짐했습니다. 동티모르에서는 지난 3월 군인 600명이 강제 퇴역 당하면서 폭력사태가 촉발됐고 이후 혼란정국이 이어져왔습니다. 현지 경찰과 국제 평화유지군은 분파 분쟁을 어느 정도 억제 시키긴 했으나 평화유지군은 벌써부터 동티모르에서 철수하고 있습니다. 이런 가운데 유엔은 동티모르에 국제경찰을 파견할 계획입니다. 미국의 소리 특파원이 전해온 소식입니다.

돌과 칼로 무장한 폭력단의 젊은이들이 동티모르 수도 딜리에서 지난 주 충돌해 최소한 가옥 열 채가 불에 탔고 수십 명이 부상했습니다. 동티모르의 쥬제 라모스-호르타 (Jose Ramos-Horta) 총리는 이번 주 수도의 거리 순찰을 강화할 것이라고 발표했습니다.

유엔 역시 딜리에 경찰서 6곳을 새로 개소할 계획입니다. 지난 5월에 지역적인 분파들간에 폭력사태가 촉발된 이후 딜리에서는 치안상황이 상당히 개선됐습니다. 당시 최소한 20 명이 사망했고 15 만 명의 주민들이 대피했습니다.

이후, 치안 회복을 위해 3천 명 이상의 국제 평화유지군이 딜리에 배치됐습니다. 그러나, 소규모의 폭력사태가 계속되고 있습니다.

유엔 안전보장이사회는 25일, 다음달 천 600 명의 국제경찰을 딜리에 파견하는 내용의 결의안을 통과시켰습니다. 이 결의안은 동티모르에 이미 파견된 호주군이 새로운 유엔 경찰단의 지휘하에 임무를 수행할지 여부에 대한 의견 차이에도 불구하고 통과됐습니다.

안보 정책 연구소 인 ‘호주 방위 협회’ (Australia Defense Association)의 닐 제임스 (Neil James)씨는 호주의 평화 유지 작전은 호주군이 유엔 국제 경찰의 지원군 역할을 하면 더욱 효과적일 것이라고 말했습니다. 제임스씨는 동티모르에서 유엔군이 호주나 다른 지역적인 국가가 제공할 수 없는 것을 제공하리라고는 생각하지 않는다고 말했습니다.

유엔이 국제경찰을 파견시키기 위해 준비 중인 가운데 호주 정부는 동티모르로부터 자국군 철수를 더욱 서두르고 있다고 말했습니다. 동티모르에는 현재 천500 명의 호주군이 주둔하고 있습니다. 이는 지난 5월에 처음 배치된 규모의 절반 수준입니다.

‘호주 방위 협회’의 제임스씨는 조만간 호주군 전원이 철수해야 할 것이라고 말했습니다. 제임스씨는 호주군은 앞으로 어느 시점에서 일단 감축돼야 할 것이라고 말합니다. 동티모르의 치안 상황은 언제까지나 현재와 같이 군이 경찰을 지원하는 상황이 요구되지 않을 것이라는 얘기입니다.

외부의 도움이 계속되는 한 현지 정치인들이 의견 차이를 해소할 여지는 그만큼 줄어든다고 제임스씨의 말입니다. 현재 상황은 결국 동티모르의 정치적인 문제기 때문이라는 것입니다.

동티모르의 사나나 구스마오 (Xanana Gusmao) 대통령은 지역 분파들간의 폭력사태를 억제하기 위해 지난 6월에 실시된 비상대책들을 지난 주에 중단했습니다.

*****

As sporadic violence continues in the East Timorese capital of Dili, the country's leaders have vowed to improve security. Police and foreign peacekeeping troops have contained attacks between rival groups, but the peacekeepers are pulling out of the tiny nation. A new contingent of United Nations police is on the way to help.

Gang members armed with rocks and knives clashed in Dili over the last week, leaving at least 10 houses burned and dozens of people wounded.

East Timor Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta announced this week that street patrols in the capital would be increased. United Nations officials also plan to open six new police stations there.

The situation in Dili has improved significantly since chaos between rival regional factions erupted last May. At least 20 people died then and 150,000 fled their homes. More than 3,000 international peacekeeping troops were called in to restore order.

But low-level violence continues. On Friday, the U.N. Security Council approved a plan to send a new contingent of 1600 police to Dili next month.

The plan passed in spite of disagreement over whether Australian troops already in the country would come under the command of the new U.N. police mission.

Neil James of the Australia Defense Association, a security policy institute, says Australia's peacekeeping operation would be more effective as a military backup to the U.N. police.

"And we're just not convinced in the peculiar circumstances of East Timor that a U.N. military force would add anything that can't be done by Australia and other regional countries," James said.

Even as the U.N. gears up to send in the police, Canberra says it is accelerating the withdrawal of its troops from the country. Australia currently has about 1500 troops deployed there now, half the number originally sent to put down the violence in May.

James says it will soon be time for all of Australia's troops to come home.

"Well there will have to be a reduction in force at some stage. I mean, the security situation in East Timor won't always require the level of military support backing up the police that there is now," he noted. "There's just no incentive on East Timorese politicians to settle their differences if there's always someone looking over their shoulder, because essentially, this is an East Timorese political problem."

Last week, Timorese President Xanana Gusmao suspended the emergency measures that were implemented in June to prevent further violence between rival factions.