팔레스타인의 가자지구에서 팔레스타인 무장세력에 의해 두 주 가까이 납치됐던 언론인 2명이 27일 무사히 석방됐습니다. 이번 일은 지금까지 가자지구에서 발생한 외국인 납치사건 중 억류일이 가장 길었습니다.

미국 <폭스 텔레비전>의 스티브 센타니씨와 카메라맨 올라프 위그씨는 27일 가자의 알려지지 않은 장소에서 석방된 지 몇 분 뒤 가자시의 비치호텔에서 환영을 받았습니다. 두 사람은 지난 14일 `성전 여단'으로 불리는 지금까지 알려지지 않았던 팔레스타인 무장단체에 의해 납치됐습니다.

두 사람은 석방 직후 이스마일 하니예 팔레스타인 총리와 만났습니다. 센타니씨는 면담 뒤 기자들에게 자신과 위그씨의 건강은 양호하다면서 가자 여행을 피하지 말 것을 당부했습니다.

센타니씨는 이번 사건으로 취재차 가자지구를 방문하려는 언론인 누구라도 영향을 받지 않기 바란다면서 팔레스타인인들은 매우 아름답고 친절한 사람들이며 세상은 이들에 대해 좀더 알 필요가 있다고 말했습니다. 센타니씨는 거듭 이번 일에 상관없이 팔레스타인을 방문해 이 곳의 이야기를 전해달라면서 좋은 기사가 될 것이라고 말했습니다.

두 사람은 이보다 몇 시간 앞서 방영된 비디오에서 가자지구에 대한 이스라엘의 정책을 비판하면서 자신들은 이슬람으로 개종했다고 말했습니다. 그러나 센타니씨는 폭스 텔레비전에 납치범들은 자신과 위그씨에게 총을 겨눈 채 이같은 발표를 하도록 강요했다고 말했습니다.

베테랑 언론인인 센타니씨는 또 납치범들은 납치 초기에 자신과 위그씨를 가혹하게 다뤘다면서 고통스런 자세에서 심하게 묶인 채 엎드린 상태에서 창고에 갇혀 있었으며 서로 대화도 하지 못하도록 했다고 말했습니다.

하마스 출신인 이스마일 하니예 팔레스타인 총리는 납치범들이 가자지역 출신이라면서도 이들을 체포하기 위한 적극적인 노력을 벌이고 있는지에 대해 밝히지 않았습니다. 지금까지 알려지지 않았던 `성전 여단'이란 단체는 센타니씨와 위그씨 두 사람을 석방하는 대신 이슬람 수감자들을 석방하도록 미국에 요구했습니다.

미국 정부 관리들은 마무드 압바스 팔레스타인자치정부 수반이 두 사람의 석방을 도왔다고 말했습니다.

센타니씨와 위그씨 납치는 지금까지 가자지구에서 발생한 가장 오랜 납치사건으로 기록되게 됐습니다. 팔레스타인 무장세력들은 최근 몇 년 간 24명의 외국인들을 납치했지만 거의 대부분은 몇 시간 만에 석방됐습니다.

*****

Two journalists, who have been held for nearly two weeks by Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip, were freed unharmed on Sunday. The abduction of the two journalists was the longest kidnapping to date of foreigners in Gaza.  

Fox television correspondent Steve Centanni and cameraman Olaf Wiig, received an emotional welcome at the Beach Hotel in Gaza city on Sunday -- just minutes after they were released from an undisclosed location in Gaza.  The two men were abducted on August 14 by a previously unknown Palestinian militant group called the Holy Jihad Brigades.

Shortly after their release, the two men met with Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh. Speaking to journalists afterward, Centanni said both he and Wiig were in good health, and he urged journalists not to avoid traveling to Gaza. 

"I just hope this never scares a single journalist away from coming to Gaza to cover this story because the Palestinian people are a very beautiful and kindhearted people who the world needs to know more about.  So do not be discouraged. Come and tell the story, it is a wonderful story," Centanni said.

Just hours earlier, the two men had appeared in a video, in which they criticized Israeli policies in the Gaza Strip, and said they had converted to Islam.  Centanni told Fox Television on Sunday that he and Wiig were forced at gunpoint to make the statement. 

Centanni, a veteran American journalist said that he and New Zealand-born Wiig were harshly treated during their initial period of captivity, saying they were tightly bound in painful positions, forced to lie face down on a garage floor and prevented from speaking with each other. 

Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh told journalists on Sunday that the kidnappers were from the Gaza area, but he would not say if active efforts were under way to arrest them. The previously unknown Holy Jihad Brigades had demanded that the United States release Muslim prisoners in exchange for the release of Centanni and Wiig.  U.S. officials said that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas had been helpful in gaining the release of the two men.  

Palestinian militants have seized about two-dozen foreigners in recent years, but nearly all have been released after a few hours of captivity, making the abduction of Steve Centanni and Olaf Wiig the longest such kidnapping to date.