미국의 마이클 처토프 국토안보부 장관은 지난 주 미국행 여객기들에 대한 테러 폭파 음모가 드러난 뒤를 이어 관계관들은 여전히 테러 공격에 대해 경계를 늦추지 않고 있다고 말했습니다.

처토프 장관은 13일 미국 폭스 텔레비전 방송에 출연해 미국 관계관들은 이번 여객기 폭파 음모에 개입된 일부 테러분자들이 여전히 잡히지 않고 도피 중에 있을 지도 모른다는 점을 우려하고 있다고 말했습니다.

처토프 장관은 또 미국 안보 당국이 이번 영국 여객기 폭파기도 사건에 집중하고 있는 것으로 여기는 또 다른 테러 단체들이 미국에 대한 공격을 자행 하려들지도 모른다는 우려도 나오고 있다고 덧붙였습니다.

마이클 처토프 장관은 미국에서 테러 모의나 작전을 위한 활동들이 일어나고 있다는 증거는 없다고 덧붙였습니다.

영국의 당국자들은 지난 주 이번 테러 공격 모의와 관련해 23명을 수감했습니다.

미국관계관들은 여객기 폭파 음모가 드러난 이후 영국발 미국행 비행기들에 대해 테러경계 수준을 상향 조정했습니다.

(영문)

The head of U.S. homeland security, Michael Chertoff, says officials remain vigilant for terrorist attacks after a plot to blow up airliners was uncovered last week.

Chertoff told Fox News today (Sunday) U.S. officials are concerned that some people involved in the alleged plot may still be at large.

He says there also is concern that other groups may try to carry out attacks because they think U.S. officials are distracted by the situation.

Chertoff added there is no evidence that planning or operational activities took place in the United States. British authorities detained 23 people last week.

U.S. officials raised the security alert level on flights from Britain to the United States after the plot was uncovered.