이달초 북한의 미사일 시험 발사에 뒤이어 남북한 관계는 당분간 냉각상태를 벗어 나지 못하게 될 것이라고 남한의 대 북한 정책 최고 책임자인 이종석 통일부장관이 말했습니다. 이종석장관은 그러나, 일본이 고려하고 있는 일방적인 조치 같은 국제 사회의 더 많은 제재 조치는 한반도의 긴장만 고조시킬 뿐이라고 경고적했습니다.

***********

북한은 20일, 북한에 있는 150여명의 남한인 근로자들에게 24시간내에 북한영내 금강산에서 철수할 것을 명령했습니다. 이들 150여명의 남한근로자들은 1950년 6.25 한국전쟁 이래 분단되어 있는 남북한에 흩어져 살고 있는 이산 가족들의 상봉을 위해 북한 금강산에 상설 면회소를 건설하고 있었습니다.

북한은 전날인 19일, 남한 정부가 북한의 최근 미사일 시험 발사에 대해 식량 및 비료 지원을 중단하는 것으로 대응하자 남북이산가족 상봉은 가까운 장래에는 불가능할 것이라고 발표했습니다. 이 때문에 다음달 8월 15일 광복절 기념일에 예정되었던 이산가족상봉계획이 취소되었습니다.  

지난주 남북한 장관급 회담이 조기 종결된 이래 가진 첫 기자회견에서 남한의 이종석 통일부 장관은 20일 남한의 대 북한식량지원은 긴장이 완화되기 전까지는 재개되지 않을 것이라고 말했습니다.

이장관은 또 남북이산가족 상봉행사를 중단키로 한 북한의 결정은 매우 유감스러운 일이라고 강조했습니다. 이장관은 그러나 북한에 대한 남한의 지원 중단은 미국과 일본 주도의 대북한 제재에 한국이 동참하려는 게 아니라 북한이 남한의 우려와 입장을 고려하지 않고 상황을 악화시킨 것에 대한 한국정부의 독자적인 판단에 따른 것이라고 설명했습니다.

북한은 지난해 9월, 자체 핵무기 능력을 제거하겠다고 국제 사회와 약속했음에도 불구하고 이를 실행하기 위한 남한과 일본, 중국, 러시아,그리고  미국이 참여하고 있는 6자회담에 복귀하기를 거부하고 있습니다. 이 장관은  북한 핵무기 문제에 대한 최상의 접근책은 인내와 대화라고 강조했습니다.

이종석 장관은 또 6자 회담의 재개는 북한과의 현 긴장상태에서 벗어날 수 있는 가장 분명하고 가시적인 행동 표시가 될 것이라고 말하고 그러나, 6자회담복귀도  긴장을 확실하게 종식시키기에는  충분치 않다고 지적했습니다.

한편 미국과 일본은 유엔 결의안에 덧붙여 북한을  압박하기 위한 자체 수단을 강구하고 있다고 말하고 있습니다.

아베 신조 일본 관방 장관은 20일, 일본정부는 북한이 6자 회담에 복귀하는 것 외에는 아무런 다른 선택의 여지가 없는 상황을 조성해야 할 것이라고 말했습니다.

아베 장관은 북한이 지금의 태도를 바꾸지 않는다면  나쁜 결과가 있을 것이라고 경고했으나 구체적인 설명은  하지 않았습니다.

한편 일본 정부는 오는 28일 쿠알라 룸프루에서 열리는 동남 아시아 국가 연합, 아세안 지역 안보 포럼, 약칭 ARF때 북한을 제외한 5개국 외무장관 회담 개최를 추진하고 있는 것으로 알려졌습니다.

6자 회담 일본측 수석 대표인 사사에 겐이치로 외무성 아시아 대양주 국장은 20일 일본을 방문한 천영우남한측 6자 회담 수석 대표와 만나, 안보 포럼을 전후로 6자 회담 참가국 외교 장관 회의 개최방안등을 협의했습니다.

회동후 천 본부장은 유엔 안보리 제재에 따른 여러 조치들을 취함에 있어 상황을 악화시킨다든지 6자회담 재개에 지장이  초래되는 행동을 하지않도록 유의해야 한다는 점을 일본측에 강조했다고 말했습니다.

천 본부장은 ARF를 계기로 추진되고 있는 5자회담에 관해서는 6자 회담 재개가 현재의 목표이긴 하지만 성사가 되지 않을 경우 하나의 대안으로 생각해볼 수 있다며 안하는 것보다는 낫다는 견해를 피력했습니다. 그러나 중국은 아직 시기 상조라는 입장을 보이는 것으로 알려져 있습니다.

일본외무성의 아시아지역담당 사사에 국장은 5자 회담 개최와 관련해, 유엔결의에 따라 북한을 설득시킬 수 있는 방안을 논의할 수 있는 좋은 기회라고 말하고 있습니다.

이와 관련해  ARF 개최국인 말레이지아의 사예드 하미드 알바르 외무장관은 북핵 갈등 해결을 위한 6자 회담이 다음주 27일에 개막될 예정인 아세안 지역 안보 포럼과 별도로 재개될 지도 모른다고 말했습니다.

알 바르 장관은 5자 회담 개최와 관련해, 콘돌리자 라이스 미 국무장관을 비롯해, 6자 회담의 모든 당사국 외무장관들이 ARF회의에  참석한다면 회담이 재개되는 것을 가로 막을 아무런 이유도 없다고 말했습니다. 

 

(영문)

South Korea's chief policymaker on North Korea says the inter-Korean relationship will remain chilled for the near future following the North's missile tests earlier this month. However, he warns that more international sanctions, such as the unilateral steps being considered by Japan, will only increase tension on the Korean peninsula. VOA's Kurt Achin reports from Seoul.

North Korea ordered about 150 South Korean workers to get out of the country within 24 hours on Thursday. The workers have been building a permanent facility at a North Korean resort for the reunion of families separated since the 1950s Korean War.

On Wednesday, Pyongyang announced such reunions would be impossible in the near future - retaliation after South Korea responded to the North's recent missile tests by suspending food and fertilizer aid to the impoverished state.

In his first briefing to reporters since inter-Korean talks broke down last week, South Korean Unification Minister Lee Jeong-seok said Thursday food aid will not be resumed until tensions have eased.

He says North Korea's refusal to talk with the international community is clearly wrong. However, he warns that international attempts to confront the North with pressure and sanctions are not appropriate.

Despite a promise it made last September to begin eliminating its nuclear weapons capabilities, Pyongyang has refused to return to talks with South Korea, Japan, China, Russia, and the United States on implementing that pledge.

Lee says the best approach to the issue of North Korea's weapons is patience and dialogue.

He says a resumption of the six-nation nuclear talks would be the simplest and most visible sign of an exit from the current tension with the North. However, he cautions that a return to talks is not enough to guarantee an end to the
tension.

South Korea backed a United Nations resolution last week condemning the North's missile tests and demanding Pyongyang suspend its ballistic missile program. The measure was put forward by the United States and Japan. Both countries say they are pursuing their own means of pressuring North Korea in addition to the resolution.

On Thursday, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe said his country must create a situation in which Pyongyang has no other choice but to return to the nuclear talks. He warned there would be "bad consequences" if North Korea did not change its current stance, but did not elaborate.

Japanese authorities say they are planning to cooperate with the United States on missile interception systems they say will be operational on the island of Okinawa by next March. Tokyo and Washington agreed on the deployment in May, before North Korea test-fired at least seven missiles into waters between the Korean peninsula and Japan.