미국 국무부가 북한의 어떠한 장거리 미사일 발사 움직임에 대해서도 그에 타당한 미국의 대응이 있을 것이라고 밝혔음에도 불구하고 미국 정부는 북한에 대해 공격할 어떠한 의도가 전혀 없다는 점을 재천명했습니다. 이보다 앞서 북한은 미국이 공격할 경우 핵무기로 대응할 것이라고 경고했습니다. 미국의 소리 국무부 출입기자의  보도입니다.

 미국 관리들은 국제사회와 고립되어 있는 북한이 중국이 주최하는 북핵관련 6자 회담에서 미국 및 그 주변 국가들과 근본적으로 다른 관계를 가질 수 있을 것이라고 말하면서도 북한에 대해 평화적 의도를 갖고 있다는 미국측 발언들을 재삼 강조하고 있습니다.

이 같은 발언들은 북한에 대한 어떠한 선제 공격에 대해서도 핵무기로 격침 할 것이라는 초강경조의 북한 언론 사설이 나온 뒤를 이어 나왔습니다. 북한의 이번 발언들은 지난달 북한이 1999년 스스로 선언한 미사일 시험 발사 유예 조치를 파기하고, 장거리 미사일 시험 발사를 준비중일 지도 모른다는 보도들이 잇따라 나온 이래 가장 강경한 것이었습니다.

 미국의 윌리엄 페리 전 국방 장관과 국방부의 전 고위 관리는 2주전, 뉴욕 타임스 신문 기고문에서 북한의 미사일 시험 발사를 저지하기 위해서는 선제 공격을 해야한다고 주창함으로써 여러 신문에 대서 특필됐었습니다 . 부쉬 행정부는 당시, 외교가 북핵 문제 해결의 올바른 노선이라고 밝혔습니다. 북한의 논평이 나온 뒤인3일 미국 국무부의 줄리 리사이드 대변인은, 북한이 미사일을 시험 발사할 도발적인 행동을 취한다면 미국은 자국을 보호하기 위해 필요한 조치등 적절히 대응할 것이라고 말했습니다.

그러나 그와 동시에 부쉬 대통령과 콘돌리자 라이스 국무장관은 북한을 공격하거나 침략할 의도가 전혀 없음을 분명히 밝혔다고 리사이드 대변인은 강조했습니다. 리사이드 대변인은 또 미국과 6자 회담 참가국들은 북한에 대해 장거리 미사일을 발사하지 말고 대신에 6자 회담에 복귀함으로써 지난해 9월 합의한 공동선언의 구상을 실현할 것을 계속 촉구할 것이라고 말했습니다.

리사이드 대변인은 9.19 공동 선언은 북한이 자체 핵무기들과 핵개발 계획을 완전하고 검증 가능한 방법으로 폐기함으로써 미국 및 다른 나라들과 근본적으로 다른 관계를 수립할 수 있는 틀을 마련해 놓고 있다고 말했습니다. 북한은 9월 공동 선언에서, 6자 회담 주최국 중국과, 미국, 남한, 일본, 러시아등 6자 회담 관련국들로부터 안보 보장과 원조를 받는 대가로 자체 핵 계획을 포기하기로 원칙적으로 합의했습니다.

그러나 6자 회담은 지난해 11월 베이징에서 잠시 열린 후 교착상태에 빠져 있습니다. 북한은 미국이 북한의 달러화 위폐 제조 및 다른 불법 활동 혐의들과 관련해 북한 회사들에 가한 금융 제재조치들을 먼저 해제할 것을 요구하며 6자 회담 복귀를 거부하고 있습니다.

미국은 대북한 제재 조치는 6자회담과는 전혀 무관하다면서 그러나 북한이 6자 회담에 복귀하면 북한 관리들과 이에 관해 논의할 태세로 있다고 말하고 있습니다.

INTRO: The United States reaffirmed Monday it has no intention of attacking North Korea, though the State Department said there would be an appropriate U.S. response to any long-range North Korean missile test. Earlier, North Korea warned of a nuclear response in the event of an American attack. VOA's David Gollust reports from the State Department.

TEXT: Officials here are reiterating U.S. statements of peaceful intentions toward North Korea, while telling the reclusive Pyongyang government it can have a fundamentally different relationship with the United States, and its regional neighbors, through the Chinese-sponsored six-party talks.

The comments follow a strongly-worded media commentary by North Korea, which warned that country would respond to any pre-emptive attack against it with what was termed an annihilating counter-strike with nuclear weapons.

The North Korean comments were the strongest thus far since reports surfaced last month that Pyongyang might be preparing for a long-range missile test, breaking a self-imposed moratorium in place since 1999.

Former U.S. Defense Secretary William Perry and a former key aide drew headlines two weeks ago with a New York Times commentary advocating a pre-emptive strike to prevent the test.

The Bush administration said at the time that diplomacy was the right course to de-fuse the issue.

In a statement Monday following the North Korean commentary, a State Department spokeswoman said that, should North Korea take the provocation of launching a missile, the United States would respond appropriately, including by taking the necessary measures to protect itself.

But at the same time, she said, both President Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice have made clear the United States has no intention of invading or attacking North Korea.

She said the United States and its partners in the six-party process continue to urge North Korea not to launch a long-range missile, and, instead, return to the negotiations, and achieve the vision of the joint statement reached last September.

She said the September 19th statement lays out a framework, through which North Korea could achieve the fundamentally different relationship with the United States and the other parties, through the complete and verifiable elimination of its nuclear weapons and programs.

North Korea agreed in principle in the September document to give up its nuclear ambitions in exchange for aid and security guarantees from the other parties, which include South Korea, Japan and Russia along with the United States and host China.

But the six-party talks have been idle since a brief session in Beijing last November.

North Korea has refused to return, demanding that the United States first drop penalties imposed against North Korean business entities because of alleged counterfeiting of U.S. currency and other illegal activity by Pyongyang.

The United States has said the sanctions are completely unrelated to the six-party talks, but is prepared to discuss the matter with North Korean officials, if that country returned to the negotiations. (SIGNED)