미군은 20일, 이라크 유시피야 부근에서 발견된 2구의 사체가 실종된 2명의 미군인 것으로 보인다고 밝혔습니다.

윌리엄 콜드웰 소장은 이날 바그다드에서 이 시신의 신원을 확인하기 위해 현재 DNA 검사가 실시되고 있다고 말했습니다. 이라크 국방부 대변인은 이날 기자들에게 이 사체들이 고문 흔적이 있었고, 심하게 훼손된 상태였다고 말했습니다.

알-카에다와 연계된 이라크의 한 무장단체는 인터넷 웹사이트를 통해 이것이 자신들의 소행이라고 주장했습니다.

수천명의 미군과 이라크 군, 경찰들이 지난 19일에 이 지역에서 저항분자들의 매복기습을 받고 납치된 것으로 보이는 미군 2명을 찾기 위해 수색을 벌여왔습니다. 미군 1명은 저항분자들의 공격을 받고 현장에서 사망했습니다.

한편 미군은 연합군이 이날 바쿠바에서 동시다발적인 공세를 펴 15명의 테러분자들을 살해하고, 여러명의 용의자들을 생포했다고 밝혔습니다. *

(영문)

The U.S. military says two bodies found near Yusufiya in Iraq are believed to be those of two missing American soldiers.

Major General William Caldwell said in Baghdad today (Tuesday) that DNA testing will be conducted to confirm the identities.

An Iraqi spokesman (General Abdul Aziz Mohammed) told reporters today (Tuesday) the bodies bore signs of torture and vicious mistreatment.

On an Internet Web site, an Iraqi insurgent group linked to al-Qaida claimed responsibility for the killings.

Thousands of U.S. and Iraqi soldiers and police had been searching for the two Americans, who disappeared after an ambush on Friday. One soldier was killed in the attack.

Meanwhile, the U.S. military says coalition forces killed 15 terrorists and detained several suspects during simultaneous raids north of the troubled city of Baquba today (Tuesday). However, local Iraqis said at least 13 civilians were killed in the raids.