죠지 부쉬 미국 대통령은 이라크 주둔 미 해병대의 일부 군인들이 지난 해에 비무장 이라크 민간인들을 살해했다는 첫 뉴스보도를 보고 당혹스러웠다고 밝히고 위법 사실이 있다면 처벌돼야 할 것이라고 말했습니다.

부쉬 대통령은 31일, 백악관에서 이라크 서부도시 하디타에서 미 해병대 병력에 의한 민간인 살해사건에 관해 피터 페이스 합참의장과 논의했다면서 이같이 밝히고 수사가 철저히 진행되도록 유의하겠다고 말했습니다.

뉴욕 타임스 신문은 지난 해 11월 하디타에서 살해된 이라크 민간인 24명이 대부분 가슴과 머리 등에 모두 총상을 입었던 것에 관한 증거가 금년 2월과 3월 군조사관에 의해 밝혀졌다고 보도했습니다.

뉴욕 타임스 보도는 바그다드 주재 미 육군장교가 지휘한 조사결과는 이라크 민간인들이 도로변 폭탄공격으로 살해됐다는 미 해병대의 주장과 상충되는 것이라고 지적했습니다.

 

(영문)

President Bush says he is troubled by initial news reports that some U.S. Marines killed unarmed Iraqi civilians last year, and that if laws were broken, there will be punishment.

Speaking at the White House today (Wednesday), Mr. Bush said he had discussed the allegations with the nation's top military officer, General Peter Pace, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The president said he is mindful there is a thorough investigation going on.

The New York Times reported today (Wednesday) that a U.S. military investigator uncovered evidence in February and March that 24 Iraqi civilians killed in the western city of Haditha last November all had gunshot wounds, mostly to the head and chest.

The paper says the investigation, lead by an Army officer in Baghdad, contradicts claims by Marines that the civilians were killed by a roadside bomb.