이라크군이 자체적으로 안보책임 능력을 증대시킬 수 있으면 이라크 주둔 미군 병력의 상당수가 금년안에 철수할 수 있을 것이라고 콘돌리사 라이스 미 국무장관이 말했습니다.

라이스 장관은 26일 미국 텔레비전 방송들에 출연해 그 같은 미군 감축은 오로지 이라크 보안군이 계속적인 발전을 이룩해야 가능할 것이라고 덧붙였습니다.

지난 주 조지 부쉬 미국 대통령은 이라크 주둔 미군 병력의 전면 철수 시기는 차기 대통령에 달려있다고 말함으로써 미군이 이라크에 얼마나 오랫동안 주둔할 것인 지에 관한 추측을 촉발시켰습니다.

라이스 장관은 미군 사령관들이 지상 여건을 바탕으로 필요한 미군 병력 수에 관한 결정을 계속 내리게될 것이라고 덧붙였습니다.

(영문)

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says the Pentagon could withdraw what she called "a significant number" of U.S. troops from Iraq within the year, if Iraqi forces can increase responsibility for security.

Speaking on U.S. television (Fox News Sunday, Meet the Press) Rice said such a draw-down is entirely likely if Iraqi security forces continue to develop.

Last week President Bush said it would be up to future U.S. presidents to decide when to pull out all American forces from Iraq, sparking speculation in Washington about how long the deployment could last.

Rice said military commanders will continue to make decisions about troop numbers based on conditions on the ground.