한국의 유명 영화배우와 감독 등 영화계 종사자 천여명이 한국정부의 스크린 쿼터 축소 결정에 항의하는 집회를 가졌습니다.

8일, 서울주재 미국 대사관 인근에서 열린 항의집회에 참가한 시위자들은, 헐리우드가 한국문화를 위협하도록 한국정부가 길을 닦아주고 있다고 비난했습니다. 지난주 한국정부는, 10년된 법을 개정해, 극장들의 한국영화 의무상영 일수를 현재의 한 해 백46일에서 오는 7월부터는한 해 76일로 축소한다고 발표했습니다.

한국정부의 이같은 결정은, 미국과의 자유무역 협상을 위해 나왔습니다. 한국정부는 또한, 한국영화의 경쟁력이 높아졌기 때문에, 스크린 쿼터 축소가 가능하다고 말했습니다.

(영문)

South Korea's movie industry held a rally in Seoul today (Wednesday) to protest a government decision that will allow Korean cinemas to screen more foreign films. More than one-thousand actors, directors, producers and film students attended the rally near the U.S. Embassy in Seoul.

They criticized the South Korean government, accusing it of paving the way for a Hollywood invasion that would threaten Korean culture. South Korea said last week it would change a decades-old law requiring cinemas to show Korean films for 146 days every year. After July, the quota will be reduced to 76 days a year, providing more days for foreign movies.

Seoul agreed to cut the film quota to allow free trade talks with Washington. The government also says it is changing the law because South Korean movies have become more competitive.