미국 남부 뉴 올리언스 시 당국자들은 지금까지 구호 대원들이 예상보다 훨씬 적은 수의 시신들을 찾아 냈다고 밝히면서, 실질적인 사망자 수는 그동안 널리 알려졌던 추정 수치인 만 명 만큼 그렇게 파국적인 수준은 아닐 수도 있다고 말했습니다.

9일 다양한 시 기관들과 함께 가진 기자회견에서, 뉴 오리언스 시 국토 안보 담당 국장인 테리 에버트 대령은 사망자의 존엄을 보호하기 위해 회수된 시신의 사진 촬영이 허용되지 않을 것이라고 말했습니다.

에버트 대령은 루이지애나 주가 단지 사망자 숫자만을 공개할 것이라고 말했습니다.

뉴 올리언스 시의 한 당국자는 경찰과 주 방위군, 그리고 육군 82 공수여단이 도시를 완전하게 장악하고, 질서 유지를 위해 밤낮으로 정찰 활동을 벌이고 있다고 말했습니다.

이 당국자는 구호 활동과 관계없는 사람들은 뉴 올리언스 시를 떠나도록 강력하게 촉구되고 있다면서, 그러나 경찰이 아직 강제로 사람들을 대피시키지는 않고 있다고 말했습니다.

이 당국자는 그러나, 뉴 올리언스 시장의 강제 소개령은 아직도 유효하다고 강조했습니다. 

한편, 백악관은 부쉬 대통령이 오는 11일에 1박 2일 일정으로 허리케인에 강타당한 멕시코 만 지역을 다시 방문할 것이라고 말했습니다.

 

(영문)

Officials in New Orleans say recovery teams have found far fewer bodies than expected so far, and that the actual death toll may not be as catastrophic as the widely reported speculation of 10-thousand.

At a news conference with various city agencies today (Friday), Colonel Terry Ebert, the city's homeland security director, said to protect the dignity of the dead no pictures will be allowed of body recoveries. He said the state of Louisiana will release only death toll figures.

The city's attorney said police, national guard units and the Army's 82nd Airborne Division have fully secured the devastated city, and are conducting day and night reconnaissance to ensure order. She said those not involved with recovery operations are strongly urged to leave the city, but police are not yet forcing evacuations. She stressed, however, that the mayor's mandatory evacuation order remains in force.

Meanwhile, the White House says President Bush will return to the stricken Gulf Coast region Sunday for an overnight visit.