북한은 금강산 관광을 담당하고 있는 남한 회사 현대 아산측에 오는 9월 1일부터 남한의 금강산 관광객수를 6백명 수준으로 축소한다고 통보 했습니다.

북한은 당일 여행과 1박 2일 코스는 취소하고 2박 3일 위주로 관광을 진행하겠다고 밝힌 것으로 알려졌습니다. 

현대 아산은 남한에서 인기가 높은 금광관 관광을 운영하는 회사로 하루 천 명 이상의 남한 관광객들이 현대 아산이 운영하는 여객선과 버스를 통한 육로 관광을 통해 금강산을 방문하고 있습니다.

대부분의 남한 국민들에게는 금강산 관광이 북한을 방문할 수 있는 유일한 기회입니다. 지난 1998년 금강산 관광이 처음 시작된 이후 백 만명 이상의 남한 관광객들이 금강산을 다녀왔습니다.

북한의 이번 방침은 앞서 이번달에 사임한 김운규  전 현대 아산 대표이사의 사임 발표로 촉발됐습니다. 김 전 대표이사는 회사 방침에 따라 현재 공식적으로는 부회장 직급을 유지하고 있습니다.

북한 관리들 사이에서 인기가 높았던 김운규 부회장은  회사 자금을 횡령한 혐의로 사임했습니다. 현대아산의 조우경 대변인은 북한의 이번 반응이 오해에서 비롯된 것 같다고 말했습니다.

 “내부적으로 봤을때에는 저희가 강제적으로 김 부회장을 퇴진시킨 것이 아니고 김운규 회장님께서 자진 사퇴를 하신 것이거든요”

김운규 현대 아산 부회장은 앞서 지난 2000년 북한 정부에 5억달러 지급한 사건과 연계돼있는 인물입니다. 

이 사건은 현대 아산의 모회사이자 남한의 대기업인 현대 그룹에 의해 조율됐으며 북한을 남북 정상 회담에 끌어들이기 위한 하나의 종자돈으로 사용됐던 것으로 보도됐었습니다.

남한 당국은 북한 지도부의 이번 금강산 관광객 축소 방침에 유감을 표시하고, 그러나 그 의도에 대해서는 언급하지 않았습니다. 현대 아산은 북한 관광을 금강산 이외 지역으로 확대할 예정입니다. 

한 무리의 관광객들이 지난 27일 개성을 방문했습니다. 현대 아산은 이 지역의 추가 관광이 9월에 실시될 예정이라며 이 사업은 북한의 금강산 관광객 축소 방침에 영향을 받지 않을 것이라고 말했습니다. 

(영문)

Pyongyang told Hyundai Asan, a South Korean tour company to implement the changes by Thursday. The company manages the popular inter-Korean tourism project, which ferries more than one thousand people to the Mount Kumgang resort in the North every day.

For most South Koreans the tours are their only chance to visit North Korea. More than a million people have taken the tour since the project's start in 1998.

North Korea's move was reportedly triggered by the resignation of Hyundai Asan's chief executive officer earlier this month. Kim Yoon-kyu, who was popular with officials in North Korea, stepped down following widespread allegations he embezzled company funds. Jo Woo-kyung, a spokesman for the company, says North Korea's response is likely a misunderstanding.

/// JO ACT IN KOREAN, FADE UNDER ///

He says North Korea thinks Hyundai Asan unilaterally fired Mr. Kim. It is not true, he says, Mr. Kim resigned himself, without company pressure. Mr. Kim previously was linked to a 500 million dollar payoff to the North Korean government in 2000.

The deal was orchestrated by South Korea's powerful Hyundai group, the parent company of Hyundai Asan. It was reportedly in exchange for Pyongyang's participation in a groundbreaking political summit with South Korea. Government officials in Seoul say Pyongyang's move is regrettable but would not comment on its motives.

Hyundai Asan will move ahead with a series of other tours of North Korea. A group of tourists visited the North Korean city of Kaesong Saturday. The company says additional trips are being planned for September and will not be affected by the North Korean decree regarding Mount Kumgang. (SIGNED)