영국은 7일 런던의 버스와 지하철에서 발생한 대형 연쇄 테러의 희생자가 당초에 확인된 것보다 최소한 열세 명이 더 많은 50명을 넘어섰다고 밝혔습니다.

이언 블레어 런던 경찰청장은 사망자수가 갑자기 늘어난 것은 수사관들이 테러범들에 관한 단서를 수집하기 위해 파괴된 지하철 열차에서 일부 시신들을  차후에 수습했기 때문이라고 설명했습니다.

경찰은 이 테러로 인한 부상자는 약 700명에 달한다고 말했습니다.

한편 잘스 클라크 영국 내무장관은 테러 공격을 자신들의 소행이라고 밝힌 한 회교 무장단체의 주장을 심각하게 받아들이고 있다고 말했습니다.

지금까지 거의 알려진 것이 없었던 ‘유럽 알카에다 비밀 집단’이라는 이름의 이 단체는 연쇄 테러 발생 직후 아랍어 웹사이트에서 이것이 자신들의 소행이라고 주장했습니다. 클라크 장관은 수사당국이 현재 이 집단의 주장 이외에도 다른 증거들을 면밀히 조사하고 있다고 밝히면서 하지만 누가 테러를 실행에 옮겼는 지는 아직 확인되지 않고 있다고 말했습니다.

잭 스트로우 영국 외무장관은 이번 런던 테러는 알카에다 수법의 여러가지 특징을 보인다고  말했습니다.*

(영문)

Authorities in London say the death toll from Thursday's bus and subway bombings now exceeds 50 -- at least 13 more than previously confirmed.

London Police Commissioner Ian Blair says the abrupt increase in the number of fatalities is due to the fact that authorities had to leave some bodies on the wrecked underground trains while investigators hunt for clues to
whoever carried out the attacks.

The police official told reporters the bombings injured about 700 people.

(Separately,) Britain's Home Secretary Charles Clarke says authorities are taking seriously a Muslim militant group's claim of responsibility for the attacks.

The previously unknown "Secret Group of al Qaida's Jihad in Europe" published its claim on an Arabic-language website shortly after the blasts. Mr. Clarke said authorities are looking very closely at this and other evidence, but have not yet confirmed who carried out the attacks.

British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw says the bombings bear the hallmarks of an al-Qaida attack.

Meanwhile, life is getting back to normal in the British capital. Buses are operating, and most of London's subway trains are running again. The London underground network carries about three million riders every
day.