미 국무부는 북한이 미국 관리들에게 6자회담에 참석하겠다고 말했으나 일자는 제시하지 않았다고 밝혔습니다.

미국과 북한 외교관들은 6일 뉴욕에서 접촉했습니다. 북한이 핵 회담에 돌아오겠다고 밝힌 것은 작년 6월 베이징에서 마지막 회담이 있은지 만 1년을 약 2주 남겨놓고 나온 것입니다.

미 국무부 샨 매코맥 대변인은 뉴욕 회담에서 북한 팀이 미국 대표들에게 중국이 주선하는 6자회담에 참석하겠다는 의사를 밝혔으며 날짜는 제시하지 않았다고 말했습니다. 부쉬 행정부는 북한이 요구한 1대 1 협상을 거부해왔으며 뉴욕의 접촉은 멧세지를 교환하기 위한 것일 뿐이었다고 말했습니다.

6자회담은 남북한과 미국, 중국, 일본, 러시아가 참석한 가운데 2003년 시작됐습니다. 제 3차 회담인 작년 6월 회담에서 미국은 구체적인 제안을 내놓았으나 북한은 아직 이에 대해 공식적인 응답을 하지 않고 있습니다.

미국은 이때 북한이 핵 계획을 되돌릴수 없도록 폐기하는 댓가로 다자간 안전보장에 참여하겠다고 말했습니다. 부쉬 행정부는 북한이 핵 계획을 폐기하기 전에는 원조나 외교적 혜택을 줄수 없다고 말하면서도, 다자회담에 참여하는 다른 나라들은 과정이 진전되는데 따라 연료용 오일이나 기타 원조를 제공할수 있다고 밝혔습니다.

북한은 올해 초 부쉬 행정부가 이른바 적대적인 대북 정책을 버리지 않는한 6자회담에 참석하지 않겠다고 선언했었습니다.

이른바 뉴욕 채널이라 부르는 양측의 접촉은 미국에서 죠셉 디트리아니 북한 담당 특사와 박길연 유엔 주재 북한 대사간에 이루어졌습니다. 지난 5월 13일 디트리아니 특사는 북한에 6자회담 복귀를 강력 촉구했으며 미국은 북한의 주권국임을 인정한다는 콘돌리자 라이스 국무장관의 최근 발언을 거듭 강조했습니다. 뉴욕에서 열린 6일의 회담은 북한측이 요청해 유엔주재 미국 대표부에 전달됨으로써 이루어졌습니다.

(영문)

The State Department says North Korea has told U.S. officials Pyongyang will return to Chinese-sponsored six-party talks on its nuclear program but has given no timeframe. U.S. and North Korean diplomats met in New York Monday. The North Korean commitment to return to the nuclear talks came little more than two weeks before the first anniversary of the last round of discussions, held in Beijing late last June.

State Department Spokesman Sean McCormack said the North Korean team at the New York meeting told its U.S. counterparts of Pyongyang's intention to rejoin the Chinese-sponsored negotiations but provided no date.

The Bush administration has resisted North Korean calls for direct negotiations with the United States on the nuclear issue, and has said the contacts with its diplomats in New York are only for exchanging messages.

The six-party talks began in 2003 and involve South Korea, Russia and Japan as well as the North Korea the United States and China.

At the session last June, which was the third round of the discussions, the United States presented a detailed proposal to which North Korea has yet to formally respond.

The United States has said it would join in multi-lateral guarantees for North Korea's security as part of an accord for the complete and irreversible dismantling of its nuclear program.

Though the Bush administration has ruled out aid and diplomatic benefits for North Korea until disarmament is complete, it has said that other parties to the talks could provide fuel oil and other aid to the economically-hard pressed communist state as the process unfolds.

North Korea had said earlier this year it would not return to the talks until the Bush administration ended what said was a hostile policy towards it.

The meetings in the so-called New York channel have involved working-level diplomatic teams led by special envoy for North Korea Joseph DeTrani on the U.S. side and by North Korea's U.N. ambassador, Pak Gil-Yon.

At a meeting May 13, Mr. DeTrani pressed for Pyongyang's return to the six-party talks while repeating recent statements by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice that the United States acknowledges North Korea's sovereignty.

The New York meeting Monday came at the request of North Korea, conveyed last week to the U.S. mission at the United Nations.