우즈베키스탄은 지난 주 발생한 유혈 시위에 대한 국제 사회의 조사 요청을 거부했다고 코피 아난 유엔사무총장이 20일 말했습니다.

 

아난 사무총장은 이슬람 카리모프 우즈베키스탄 대통령이 19일 밤 전화 통화에서, 시위가 발생한 안디잔의 상황은 현재 통제 하에 있으며 폭력을 저지른 사람들을 심판할 모든 조치들을 취하고 있다고 말한 것으로 전했습니다.

 

19일 유엔 인권위원회의 루이스 아보어 위원장은 안디잔 폭력 사태에 대한 독립적 조사를 촉구했습니다.

 

두 개의 인권단체들은 우즈벡 보안군이 지난 주 안디잔과 파크타바드에서 발생한 반정부 시위대와의 충돌에서 최고 1,000 명의 민간인을 살해했다고 주장하고 있습니다.

 

폭력 사태의 책임을 회교 과격분자들에게 돌리고 있는 우즈벡 정부는 사망자수를 169명으로 집계하고 있습니다.

 

(영문)

 

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan says Uzbekistan has rejected calls for an international investigation into last week's deadly clashes in the Central Asian country.

Mr. Annan says Uzbek President Islam Karimov told him in a telephone conversation late Thursday that the situation in Andijon was under control and that every measure was being taken to bring those responsible for the violence to justice.

Earlier Thursday, U.N. Human Rights Commissioner Louise Arbour called for an independent probe into the violence.

Two human rights groups say Uzbek security forces may have killed as many as 1,000 civilians in last week's clashes with anti-government demonstrators in Andijon and the city of Pakhtaabad.

The Uzbek government, which blames the violence on Islamic extremists, puts the death toll at 169.