미국 국무부는 미국이 대북한 식량 원조를 중단했으며 올해 연말까지 식량이 지원되지 않을 수도 있다는 한 신문 보도를 일축했습니다.

미국 국무부의 리처드 바우처 미국 대변인은 20일 미국은 지난해 5만t의 대북 식량 선적을 이미 완료했으며 북한의 추가 수요에 대해 검토중이라고 밝혔습니다. 바우처 대변인은 북한에 대한 마지막 식량 선적이 언제였는지에 대해서는 아는 바 없다고 말했습니다.

미국의 월스트릿 저널 신문은 20일 미국의 대북 식량 지원 사업을 주관해 온 국제개발처 관계관들의 말을 인용해 문제의 기사를 보도했습니다.

북한은 계속 만성적인 식량 부족에 시달려 왔으며 자국민을 먹여살리기 위해 외국 식량 지원에 크게 의존하고 있습니다.

바우처 대변인은 미국의 대북한 식량 지원에 대한 미국의 결정은 정치적 요인들이 아닌 북한 주민들의 실제적인 필요성에 근거하고 있다고 말했습니다.

(영문)

The State Department has denied a newspaper report saying the United States has halted food-aid shipments to North Korea and may not provide any through the end of this year.

Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Friday that U.S. officials completed last year's food-aid shipments to North Korea of 50,000 tons, and are considering the country's current needs.

He said he was unaware when the last shipment was made.

The story in question appeared in Friday's Wall Street Journal, which attributed the report to officials from the U.S. Agency for International Development.

North Korea has been dealing with chronic food shortages and relies heavily on foreign aid to feed its people. Mr. Boucher said U.S. decisions about food aid are based on need, and not on political factors.