Iran has downplayed any threat of a U.S. military strike.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told a news conference today (Sunday) the chance of a U.S. strike is very low.
He made the comments after President Bush and several top aides said last week military action to deal with Iran's nuclear program had not been ruled out.
Mr. Asefi described such tough talk by Bush Administration officials as psychological warfare, saying any military strike by the United States would be a strategic blunder.
The perception that the United States is considering a confrontation with Iran has grown since a published report (in The New Yorker magazine) said U.S. commandos have been secretly scouting targets for possible air strikes.
Pentagon officials have said the story was full of mistakes, but did not expressly deny conducting covert missions in Iran.