연결 가능 링크

‘미국, 가자침공 승인하지 않았다,’ - 체이니 부통령


미국의 딕 체이니 부통령은 팔레스타인의 자치, 가자지구에 대한 이스라엘의 침공을 미국정부가 승인하지 않았다고 밝혔습니다. 그러나 그침공에 부시행정부는 놀라지 않는다고 체이니부통령은 덧붙였습니다. 좀 더 자세한 소식입니다.

딕 체이니 미국 부통령은, 가자지구 침공계획에 관해 이스라엘이 백악관에 자문이나 승인을 구하지 않았다고 잘라 말했습니다.

그러나 CBS 텔레비전방송의 일요 시사프로그램, 'Face the Nation' 에 출연한 체이니부통령은, 이미 이스라엘 지도자들은 팔레스타인 무장단체, 하마스가 가자지구로부터 이스라엘을 향해 로켓포 공격을 계속하는 것을 방관하지 않을 것이라고 경고했었다는 점을 지적했습니다.

몇개월 전인, 지난번 예루살렘방문중에 이스라엘지도자들은 가자 지구에 관한한 어떠한 행동도 취하기 원하지 않는다는 점을 강조했다는 것입니다. 이미 3년전 이스라엘군은 가자지구에서 철수했기 때문입니다. 하지만 하마스의 로켓포 공격이 그치지 않는다면 행동을 취하는 외에 달리 선택의 여지가 없을 것으로 느끼고 있다는 점을 이스라엘 지도자들이 분명히 했다고 체이니부통령은 지적했습니다.

부시행정부는 가자지구를 통치하는 하마스가, 지난해 에집트가 중재했던 정전을 파기하고 최근의 폭력사태를 조장했다고 비난하고 있습니다.

백악관은 어떠한 새로운 정전도 당사 측모두에 의해 항구적으로 존중되어야 한다고 말합니다. 그러나 팔레스타인관리들은 가자 지역의 인도주의적 상황은 협상타결을 기다릴 수 없을 만큼 시급하다며 이스라엘군은 지금 당장 철수해야 한다고 말하고 있습니다.

팔레스타인측 수석 협상대표인, '싸예브 에라카트'씨는 이스라엘의 공격이 일단 중단된다면 팔레스타인측은 적대행위 중단을 위한 장기적인 방안을 제시할 수 있을 것이라고 말합니다.

현 단계에서 가장 중요한 것은 가자지구에 대한 모든 형태의 공격이 즉각 중단되는 것이라고 에라카트씨는 강조합니다. 가자지구 에서는 지금 인간적 파국상황이 발생하고 있다며 이는 국제 사회가 주력해야 할 긴박한 상황이라고 에라카트씨는 호소합니다.

아랍권은 물론 유럽과 세계여러지역에서는 이스라엘의 가자지구 침공에 대대적인 항의시위가 벌어지고 있고 이스라엘의 군사 작전은 즉각 중단되어야 한다는 분노에 찬 반응이 속출하고 있습니다.

그러나 시몬 페레즈 이스라엘대통령은 미국 ABC방송의 시사 프로그램, This Week에 출연해 이스라엘 지상군 작전은 계속될 것이라고 말했습니다. 이스라엘이 원하는 것은 가자지구점령이나 하마스 분쇄가 아니고 테러소탕이라고 페레즈대통령은 강조했습니다.

하마스는 현실적이고 진정한 교훈을 필요로 한다며 페레즈 대통령은, 하마스는 지금 바로 그같은 교훈을 얻고 있다고 말했습니다.

이스라엘은 일주일간의 공습에 뒤이어 지난 3일 가자지구에 지상군병력을 투입했습니다. 이스라엘군의 공격으로 지금까지 500명이상 의 팔레스타인인들이 사망한 것으로 당국자들은 추산하고 있습니다.

*****

U.S. Vice president Dick Cheney says the United States did not authorize the Israeli invasion of Gaza. But he makes clear the Bush administration was not caught totally by surprise. We have more from VOA White House Correspondent Paula Wolfson.

Vice president Cheney says the Israelis did not clear their invasion plans with the White House.

"They did not seek clearance or approval from us, certainly," said Dick Cheney.

But Cheney told the CBS television program Face the Nationthat Israeli leaders had warned they could not sit idly by while Hamas launched rockets into Israel from Gaza.

"They have said now for a period of months - they told me on my last trip over there - that they did not want to have to act where Gaza was concerned," said Mr. Cheney They had gotten out of there three years ago. But if the rocketing did not stop they felt they would have no choice but to take action."

The Bush administration has blamed Hamas - the militant group that controls Gaza - for inciting the latest round of violence in the region, killing the cease-fire mediated last year by Egypt.

The White House says any new cease-fire must be durable and respected by all. But Palestinian officials say humanitarian conditions in Gaza are too dire to wait for negotiations, and the Israelis must pull out now.

Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat told CNN'sLate Editionthat once the Israeli attacks stop, they may be able to come up with a formula for a long-term cessation of hostilities.

"The most important thing at this stage is to stop immediately all forms of attacks against Gaza," said Saeb Erakat. "We have a human catastrophe in Gaza and that is what the international community needs to focus on."

The Israeli assault has been met with condemnation in the Arab world, and emotional calls for an immediate end to the military operation.

But on ABC'sThis Week, Israeli President Shimon Peres said the ground offensive will go on. He said Israel's intention is not to occupy Gaza nor crush Hamas, but to crush terror.

"And Hamas needs a real and serious lesson," said Shimon Peres. "They are now getting it."

Israeli launched the ground operation late Saturday, after more than a week of air attacks. Officials say at least 500 people have been killed since the assault began.

XS
SM
MD
LG