연결 가능 링크

스리랑카 원조국들 정부군-반군간 교전격화 우려 (E)


스리랑카에서 정부군과 반군간의 교전이 격화되면서 주요 원조국들은 인권보호를 촉구하고 나섰습니다.

미국과 일본, 노르웨이, 유럽연합 국가들은 12일 발표한 공동성명에서 스리랑카 정부군이 반군과의 휴전협정 파기를 공식 선언한데 대해 강한 우려를 나타냈습니다. 원조국들은 양측이 민간인들을 보호하고 유엔이 스리랑카의 인권상황을 계속 감시해줄 것을 촉구했습니다.

원조국들은 또 스리랑카의 분쟁에 대한 군사적 해결책이 없다며 협상을 통한 해결책을 재차 강조했습니다. 스리랑카 군당국은 지난 이틀간 북부지역에서 발생한 정부군과 타밀엘람호랑이 반군간의 교전에서 반군대원 60명 이상과 정부군 병사 1명이 사망했다고 밝혔습니다.

정부군이 지난 2002년에 노르웨이의 중재로 체결된 반군과의 휴전협정 파기를 지난 주 공식 선언한데 이어 교전은 더욱 격화됐습니다.

Sri Lanka's main financial donors are calling on the government and rebels to protect human rights, as violence escalates in the country.

Norway, Japan, the U.S. and the European Union today (Saturday) issued a joint statement voicing strong concerns over Sri Lanka's pulling out of a ceasefire with Tamil Tiger rebels. The countries, known as the co-chairs, urged both sides to protect civilians and called for continued United Nations monitoring of the human rights situation.

The foreign supporters also said there is no military solution to the conflict in Sri Lanka and reiterated their support for a negotiated settlement

Today's (Saturday's) statement was made as fighting continues between Sri Lankan troops and Tamil Tiger rebels. The military says more than 60 rebels and one soldier have been killed during clashes in the island's north over the last two days.

Violence has intensified since the Sri Lankan government last week formally ended a 2002 Norwegian-brokered truce with the rebels. The government has vowed to continue military operations to eliminate the rebel group, saying the Tamil Tigers used the cease-fire to regroup and plan more terrorist attacks.

XS
SM
MD
LG