연결 가능 링크

맥시코 홍수…사망 8명, 이재민 100만명 (E)


멕시코 남부 지역에서 50년 만에 최악의 홍수 사태로 8명이 숨지고 백만명에 가까운 이재민이 발생했습니다.

치파스 주의 민방위국은 지난 2일과 3일 사이 7구의 시신을 발견했다고 보고했습니다. 이들 사망자 가운데는 온두라스 출신의 불법 체류자 한명도 포함됩니다.

이번 홍수로 지난 주 1명이 목숨을 잃었던 이웃 타바스코 주는 4분의 3 이상이 물에 잠겼습니다.

타바스코주 당국자들은 3일 식료품 가게와 상점들이 약탈을 당했다고 보고했습니다.

한편 멕시코의 펠리페 칼데론 대통령은 군 당국에 구조 노력을 지원하도록 지시했습니다. 국제적십자와 유니세프등 국제 구호 단체들 역시 지원을 제공하고 있습니다.

*****

Eight people have died and nearly one million are homeless in southern Mexico because of the worst floods in 50 years.

The department of civil defense in Chiapas state reported finding seven bodies between Friday and Saturday. The dead included an undocumented Honduran immigrant.

Flood waters cover more than three quarters of the neighboring state of Tabasco, where one man died last week.

Authorities in Tabasco reported looting of grocery stores and shopping centers on Saturday.

The governor of Tabasco state, Andres Granier, said he knows people are hungry, but he said being hungry does not justify looting.

President Felipe Calderon has ordered the military to assist with rescue efforts. International relief agencies, including the Red Cross and UNICEF, are also providing assistance.

XS
SM
MD
LG