연결 가능 링크

나토, 아프가니스탄서 최대규모 공세작전 개시  (Eng)


북대서양조약기구 나토 (NATO)는 5년전 탈레반 무장세력과의 교전을 시작한 이래 사상 최대 규모의 공세 작전을 개시했습니다.

나토군과 아프가니스탄군 병력은 아프가니스탄 남부의 탈레반 반군 거점지인 헬만드 주 북부에서 일명 ‘아킬레스 작전 (Operation Achilles)’을 개시했습니다. 나토군의 지역사령관인 톤 반 룬 (Ton Van Loon) 소장은 이번 작전에는 점차적으로 나토군과 아프간군 병력 5천5백 명 이상이 투입될 예정이라고 말했습니다. 그는 연합군은 특히 분쟁지역들에서 민간인의 인명피해가 없도록 각별히 주의할 것이라고 강조했습니다.

반 룬 소장은 탈레반 무장세력이 정기적으로 아프간 지역사회를 도피처로 삼고 자신들을 보호하기 위해 죄없는 민간인들과 어린이들을 인간방패로 사용한 사실을 알고 있다고 말했습니다. 반 룬 소장은 적이 얼마나 악랄한지도 안다고 말했습니다. 그는 ‘아킬레스 작전’에 따라 보다 많은 군병력이 아프가니스탄에 투입될 예정인데 나토는 탈레반 무장세력들만을 표적으로 삼고 있다고 말했습니다.

반 룬 소장의 이같은 발언은 지난 주 국제보안군과 탈레반 무장세력간의 교전 도중 민간인들이 사망하는 사건이 두 차례 발생한 이후 나온 것입니다. 이번 작전은 나토가 지난해 아프가니스탄의 치안권을 이양 받은 이래 개시된 최대 규모의 군사적 공세 작전입니다.

하지만 탈레반 반군이 기반을 다지고 있는 것으로 알려진 지역에서 나토가 주요 군사작전을 펼치는 것은 이번이 처음은 아닙니다. 헬만드 주에서는 지난 5월 ‘산악공격작전 (Operation Mountain Thrust)’의 일환으로 1만1천 명 이상의 미국 주도 연합군 병력이 투입됐습니다. 미국 관리들은 이 작전으로 1천1백여 명의 탈레반 무장세력이 살해됐음에도 불구하고 탈레반을 헬만드 주에서 영구적으로 격퇴하는데 실패했음을 인정했습니다.

탈레반 정권은 알-카에다 테러조직의 지도자 오사마 빈 라덴에게 은신처를 제공해준 혐의로 지난 2001년 미국 주도 연합군에 의해 축출됐습니다. 국제 군병력은 민주적으로 선출된 지금의 아프간 정부가 평화와 안보를 구축하도록 돕기 위해 아프가니스탄에서 계속 주둔하고 있습니다.

*****


NATO forces in Afghanistan have launched their largest offensive yet in the battle against the five-year-old Taleban insurgency. From Islamabad, VOA Correspondent Benjamin Sand reports.

NATO and Afghan forces launched Operation Achilles in the north part of Helmand province - deep inside the Taleban's traditional stronghold in the south of the country.

NATO's regional commander, Major General Ton Van Loon says the offensive will eventually include more than 5500 NATO and Afghan troops. He stressed the joint force will take special care to avoid civilian casualties in the affected areas.

"We know that Taleban extremists have regularly sought refuge in your communities and have used honest citizens and children as human shields to protect themselves," he said. " I assure you we recognize how devious the enemy is and as Operation Achilles brings more troops in your region, let there be no doubt that we are only going after the extremists.

The general's comments follow two incidents this week in which civilians were killed in gunfights between international security forces and insurgents.

The operation is NATO's largest military offensive since taking over Afghanistan's security operations last year.

But it is by no means the first major campaign in an area where the Taleban insurgency is reportedly gaining ground. More than 11,000 U.S.-led troops launched Operation Mountain Thrust in the same province last May. Despite killing an estimated 1100 militants, U.S. officials concede the mission failed to permanently dislodge Taleban insurgents from Helmand.

Afghan authorities say the Taleban have a number of strategic bases inside the province, including the town of Musa Qala which they captured February first and continue to control.

The Taleban was ousted from power by U.S.-led troops in 2001 for harboring al-Qaida terrorist chief Osama bin Laden.

International soldiers remain in the country to help the democratically elected government try to establish peace and security.

General Van Toon says the new NATO operation targets Taleban militants as well as powerful drug traffickers active in the volatile region.

Monday, the United Nations released a new report saying they expect a sharp rise in opium production in the lawless south. The U.N. says the illegal drug trade is clearly helping finance the Taleban and creating a so-called "cancer of insurgency." Afghanistan produces an estimated 90 percent of the world's opium supply.

XS
SM
MD
LG